Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confused about very simple things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulg

I'll try to be brief, my problem involves interpreting data sheets of components. For example on the data sheet for a SCR I see the following data:

Min / Typical / Max
Gate Trigger Voltage (Continuous dc) : 0.4 0.6 0.8

Now, does that mean I require voltage within those ranges- or can I use the full value of the anode / cathode? For example if it also has a "Peak Repetitive Off−State Voltage" of 600 volt(dc)- can the gate handle that?

Last edited:
due to process variations in the manufacturing process, there will be a range of values for the gate trigger voltage. Basically what that is telling you is to make sure your gate voltage is no less than 0.8V to insure that the SCR will trigger. Statistically, though, most of the triggering will occur at 0.6V for a majority of the SCRs they produce.

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying that- I was a little worried since a mosfet gate only handles so much voltage. Mechanical DPDT relays are a killer on budgets and I would like to put an end to that not to mention the solid state benefit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back