Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confused about function of resistor in this circuit....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_R

The circuit below is the digital input section of a commercial I/O board. Manufacturer says inputs will work from 400V down down to 24V (guaranteed) perhaps as low as 12V. I am perplexed as to how one can obtain that wide of a range from a fixed set of resistances. Could someone explain the function of the resistor in parallel with the opto diode (R15 for instance) My thought is that once the diode is forward biased, the 12K resistor ceases to have much impact on the circuit.
Am I missing something obvious here? it seems too simple.
PS, i believe the PIC is just a input stretcher to allow for AC signals .
Thanks.
opto-ckt.jpg

The datasheet for the PC815 opto says that its minimum current transfer ratio is 6 times and when you calculate the input current then the circuit will work with an input of 12V to 400V.

The 12k resistors might protect the IR LED from reverse leakage current in the rectifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back