Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confirming/correcting circuit a design

Status
Not open for further replies.

malc9141

Hello:

I have been given a diagram but wonder if there is a mistake. It is meant to deliver a short but variable pulse to a FET, and I want confirmation that the RC timer is correct.
In fact there are two of these, one for a very short pulse (Fire), the other, longer, up to about 5 ms. (Hold)

In particular, is R1 correct or should it be a capacitor? Also is the timer around C5 correct?

Thank you for any help.
injector file

Hello:

I have been given a diagram but wonder if there is a mistake. It is meant to deliver a short but variable pulse to a FET, and I want confirmation that the RC timer is correct.
In fact there are two of these, one for a very short pulse (Fire), the other, longer, up to about 5 ms. (Hold)

In particular, is R1 correct or should it be a capacitor? Also is the timer around C5 correct?

Thank you for any help.
injector file

If you have the .asc file, can you post it please?

It looks reasonable to me.

R1 sets the minimum resistance so the 555 discharge transistor is not shorted to power and damaged, when the timing control is at minimum value.

The C5 + Trim2 network sets the duration the second MOSFET is on, as well as the first.

To JRW, thanks. Someone said the R1 should be a cap. You are correct that the Fire & Hold overlap (intentional). I have no electronic background, built this after advice (long story), and it stopped varying Hold, but I could not see a fault.

Will keep in touch, if I may.

Hello:

Thank you for any help.
injector file

Since the "Hold" and "Fire" outputs trigger on the same signal, the "Hold" output time is always greater than or equal to the Fire output, so the "Hold" output always overrides the "Fire" output. So, basically, the Fire output doesn't do anything. Lcoil is always energized by "Hold".

Last edited:
Since the "Hold" and "Fire" outputs trigger on the same signal, the "Hold" output time is always greater than or equal to the Fire output, so the "Hold" output always overrides the "Fire" output. So, basically, the Fire output doesn't do anything. Lcoil is always energized by "Hold".
It's a power reduction or energy saving system,

The solenoid gets double current for a short time to pull in, then the fire FET turns off and the Hold one keeps it engaged, at half current, for the rest of the time.

It's quite common, in some form or other, with DC operated solenoids and contactors etc., to give positive operation without excess long term current or coil heating.

The simplest form is just an under-voltage rated coil plus a series ballast resistor to set the correct current, and an appropriate size capacitor across the resistor to give the appropriate high current pull-in pulse.

It's a power reduction or energy saving system,

The solenoid gets double current for a short time to pull in, then the fire FET turns off and the Hold one keeps it engaged, at half current, for the rest of the time.

It's quite common, in some form or other, with DC operated solenoids and contactors etc., to give positive operation without excess long term current or coil heating.

The simplest form is just an under-voltage rated coil plus a series ballast resistor to set the correct current, and an appropriate size capacitor across the resistor to give the appropriate high current pull-in pulse.

Oh..OK.

R6/R8 are subject to getting very hot depending on the rate of trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back