Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Configurable test load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diver300

Most Helpful Member
For single phase generator testing, are there any test loads that can simulate inductive loads, like induction motors, as well as pure resistive loads?

With an inductive load the power factor is poor and the are points in the mains cycle when power if flowing from the load to the supply. I would imagine that is very difficult to simulate, and a good test load could be quite expensive.

An unloaded large transformer should have a low power factor, to see out of phase current?

Not much of a load power-wise, possibly, but it could be OK if you are just trying to get waveforms?

I'm really looking for something that can be programmed to pretend to be a variety of loads.
They exist depending on how much power you plan to dissipate and how much money you plan to spend. Depending on how much power at how much voltage a Google of Inductive (reactive) and resistive load banks should bring up several manufacturers local to you. Most have "application engineers" who can best point you to a unit which meets your needs. Names like Avtron come to mind and again it depends on your application. Small and portable to they come on a flatbed truck. :) Resistive, Reactive, Inductive and all of the above fully programmable.

Ron

I'm looking to go to about 4 kW.

I want to be able to simulate various current waveforms. For instance the current taken by a full-wave rectified power supply with no power factor correction, or a thyristor power controlled load.

I found one that could simulate arbitrary current waveforms, but it couldn't simulate inductive loads.

I'll have a look at Avtron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back