Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Conductor replaced by an inductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

Hey,

I'm trying to figure out two things.

1. Why a single conductor is considered as an inductor?

2. Why two parallel plates form an inductor which its inductance depends on the distance between them?

Thanks.

transmission-line-jpg.30895

Attachments

• transmission line.JPG
    transmission line.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 790
when a current passes through it generates a magnetic field...when a further conductor is placed parallel to it a voltage is generated....Michael Faraday....the father of transformers...

The magnitude of the currents is determined by the proximity...
how welding transformers work........

Last edited:
All wires have inductance (see Inductance of a Straight Wire: A Calculator). It's small but has an effect at higher frequencies.

Parallel plates form a capacitor, not an inductor (perhaps that's what you meant?).

Capacitance is caused by the electric field between two conductors attracting charges from the opposite side. The larger and closer together the plates are, the more charge that's attracted for a given voltage, giving a larger capacitance.

Thanks guys,
I guess i need to learn more about self and mutual inductance.

Regarding the parallel plates, I did mean that parallel plates form an inductor, I read it in the book and summarize it in the following picture:

transmission-line-jpg.30898

This is the book by the way, if its interesting you (chapter 10):
https://www.ece.rutgers.edu/~orfanidi/ewa/

Attachments

• transmission line.JPG
    transmission line.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,554
Last edited:
The inductance goes down as the plates become closer together because the magnetic field, caused by the current in the top conductor, is better canceled by the magnetic field from the current (going in the opposite direction) in the bottom conductor. It's the changing magnetic field around a conductor carrying an AC current that causes the inductance. The more this field is canceled, the lower the inductance.

The inductance goes down as the plates become closer together because the magnetic field, caused by the current in the top conductor, is better canceled by the magnetic field from the current (going in the opposite direction) in the bottom conductor. It's the changing magnetic field around a conductor carrying an AC current that causes the inductance. The more this field is canceled, the lower the inductance.

Actually the field from the top conductor adds to the one from the bottom in the area between the conductors. The reason the inductance decreases when the gap reduces is that the area reduces, hence the flux linkage reduces.

alphacat, you need to understand a simple inductor first, for example a single loop of wire. For low frequencies, the shorted transmission line is like a long skinny loop, and as you increase the area of the loop you increase the inductance.

Last edited:
Thanks fellows.

As you said, its like a Cylindrical coil, which its inductance equals to µ*N²*A/L, and in our case, the width of the plates is the lenght of the coil, and the plates are like one big turn (N=1).

Last edited:
All wires have inductance (see Inductance of a Straight Wire: A Calculator). It's small but has an effect at higher frequencies.

It is said there that a straight wire has an inductance, but as far as i know, magnetic field is not enough to create inductance, but a magnetic flux thourgh a closed area is.

Meaning, there has to be a closed area where the magnetic field goes through.

So how come a straight line could have an inductance, unless it somehow forms a closed area?

Last edited:
Hi,

A moving electron can produce a magnetic field, the magnetic field can
oppose the movement of the electron, hence even space has inductance,
you dont even need a wire.

Actually the field from the top conductor adds to the one from the bottom in the area between the conductors. The reason the inductance decreases when the gap reduces is that the area reduces, hence the flux linkage reduces.
Correct. I had my directions reversed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back