Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Condenser mic repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaswegian

Hi, any ideas would be appreciated.
I've been trying to repair my old (maybe 97' model) CAD live microphone it's a hand held condenser. It looks similar to a C195 but I guess mine is an older model it's black also but has a gold ring around the middle.
I gave it to a repair guy and he said I shouldn't worry about it as it would be too costly etc..easy for him to say but I don't have spare $300. He left a screw out when he gave it back and a lot of the internal wires pulled out of the curcuit board so I've basically soldered it back together with my limited instinctual knowledge as I couldn't find an online diagram. Not sure if it's actually stuffed or I've just wired it up incorrectly. When I plug it into my XLR cable and into the mixing desk I hear a loud hum when I touch the actual silver mic section, when I take my hand away it stops, but it's not actually working. Check out the photo's at these links.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Hi, any ideas would be appreciated.
I've been trying to repair my old (maybe 97' model) CAD live microphone it's a hand held condenser. It looks similar to a C195 but I guess mine is an older model it's black also but has a gold ring around the middle.
I gave it to a repair guy and he said I shouldn't worry about it as it would be too costly etc..easy for him to say but I don't have spare $300. He left a screw out when he gave it back and a lot of the internal wires pulled out of the curcuit board so I've basically soldered it back together with my limited instinctual knowledge as I couldn't find an online diagram. Not sure if it's actually stuffed or I've just wired it up incorrectly. When I plug it into my XLR cable and into the mixing desk I hear a loud hum when I touch the actual silver mic section, when I take my hand away it stops, but it's not actually working. Check out the photo's at these links.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
the links are here reproduced
http://twitpic.com/hk9d2
http://twitpic.com/hka0e
http://twitpic.com/hk9kr
http://twitpic.com/hk9h7
please see whether this link helps
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I guess you must post pics over at Twit instead of here because you are a NOOB and this site stops NOOBs from posting SPAM.

Hum is caused when the cable's shield is not connected because then the cable picks up mains hum that is radiated by mains wiring.

I guess you must post pics over at Twit instead of here because you are a NOOB and this site stops NOOBs from posting SPAM.

Hum is caused when the cable's shield is not connected because then the cable picks up mains hum that is radiated by mains wiring.
I see. Then newcomers won't be able to place a photo and seek clarification. Actually the links could be seen only when the OP's message was quoted at the the time of typing reply. Later again, as reply is posted, the links disappeared.

As You also indicated that the links he posted did not show the photos, I thought perhaps it could help to sort his problem. how ever, I posted the links only and not the pictures themselves.

BTW, I doubt whether the Red and Black wires at the male connector are reversed.

Last edited:
Cheers for that. I think I know the XLR wiring. Not sure if the wires are correctly soldered onto the circuit board at both ends.

Ok, thanks for that. So would that explain why the hum is only present when I touch the end of the mic area?

Cheers for that. I think I know the XLR wiring. Not sure if the wires are correctly soldered onto the circuit board at both ends.
as seen from soldering side, the pins of male plug were defined and I fear if the active wire ( pre amp output) has gone to the pin meant for ground. So, I felt that it could be cross checked. iof the board diagram could be reverse engineered, perhaps many clouds can be cleared.

AG is right in saying the cable's shield(screen) should be connected to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back