Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer PS troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnson777717

Hey folks! I need some advice on troubleshooting a computer power supply. I've read through the previous posts on Computer power supplies. Here is what I have so far:

400Watt ATX type PS. Model LPK2-30 (Datasheet available???)

1. The PS has been used on a continuous basis. (the PS and computer remained on for long periods of time (weeks at a time.).

2. When the power switch is pushed, the computer begins to boot, then suddenly turns off. This leads me to believe that the connection between pins 14 & 15 (PS On, and GND respectively)is possibly being opened, causign the PS to shut off?

3. Planning to short pins 14 & 15, and add a load to the supply (possibly fans or high wattage resistors) in order to measure the supply voltages.

4. Inspected the internal PCB for evidence of overheating / shorting. No signs are evident.

5. Inspected internal fuse, Good to go.

Does anyone have any other ideas for troubleshooting this issue?

Johnson777717 said:
3. Planning to short pins 14 & 15, and add a load to the supply (possibly fans or high wattage resistors) in order to measure the supply voltages.

gotta be worth a try...

or try putting the PS in someone elses computer and trying it then (it could be a motherboard issue)

I know this isn't in the spirit of this site, but you can get a standard 2-fan 400W PSU for about £10. To be honest, its probably not worth messing around with it, except for the purpose of educating yourself.

My advice: buy a new one (to put in your computer), see if you can get the old one to work, then use it or its components in your next major project. - Do you really want a 'repaired' power supply in your computer? (you may have missed something, and this something could ruin you motherboard or worse)

Hope this is some help :?

Tim.

You have a good point. Why try to fix the PS, and potentially create more problems, when the PS are pretty cheap anyhow.

I suppose I'll keep this unit around to mess around with, and purchase a new PS.

Thank you for your time!

You have a good point. Why try to fix the PS, and potentially create more problems, when the PS are pretty cheap anyhow.

If the computer still boots initially then there won't be much wrong with the PS...

Check for dry solders.... Getting hot may cause them to lose contact...

PC Pwr Supply

Hello,

After the initial bootstrap, a disk start command is sent, may be something out of order in the HD that takes too much current and the overcurrent sensor is tripped. May be.

Regards

I said:
try putting the PS in someone elses computer and trying it then

as suggested by IRQ57, it may be a prob with your computer, in which case a new PS will do nothing, and you need to find the problem with your comp anyway, so try it in a different computer before you go messing around with it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back