Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer fan with 4 wires, 5 pin connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grossel

Hi.

I sit here with a 92mm computer fan that I pulled out of a scrapped HP server. The computer model name is "AFB0912DH", and is rated 12V / 2,5A.

The wire colors is: Black, Red, Yellow and Green. The connector have 5 pins and the two first is shorted (both black).

I will guess that black/red is power and the yellow and green is pmw/speed. The problem is that I cannot find any documentation on this, and I won't destroy the fan by pushing PMW input on speed output (because a search on ebay indicates that this fan is more expensive than regular computer fans).

So it would be very helpful if anybody have a clue about the pin-numbers for a 5-pin can connector.

[edit]
Have done some web searches for "computer fan 5 wires", but I cannot find any that covers this type of connector.

I found a site that have a picture of a matching fan:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I have some fans here and they are Black, Red, Yellow and Blue. The yellow is sense and the Blue is PWM. Try powering it and look for a signal on one of the other wires, even a multi-meter on DCV will give a reading on the sense output, on Hz you should get RPM.

Mike.

Since the first two pins are shorted, this could maybe help you.

From a test I did on what seemed a "standard" 4-pins connector PC fan, having the black wire on your left, I got:

black - GND
yellow - +12V
green - tacho signal - 2 pulses per revolution (output)
light blue - PWM ctrl (input - see below)

The 3-pin fans may be used here knowing that you do not have the PWM control available.

As per the governing standard (reccomendations?) the PWM control should be a nominal 25KHz signal (0 to 5V). Look for that standard to know about the "iddle" speed.

Worth to note:

Those PC fans get their voltage unaltered; control is via PWM.

At the tacho output I used a 10K pull-up resistor to 12V.

With no signal in pin 4, the fans goes faster.

0V on pin 4 gets the fan running to a supposed "minimum" of 30%. (Read the standard).

Steady 5V on pin 4 means NO change in speed.

PWM ctrl (between 20 and 80% that my function generator allows) seemed to have a very linear response.

Whatever you get, please post the outcome.

Thanks, hopefully I get time to test this. I must rig up a test bench, and I have several similar projects in plan.

My test took few minutes to connect things in a protoboard and maybe an hour to verify all stated in my post. I used a scope plus a signal generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back