Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

computer fan wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barmybaz

From a previous thread which gave me an idea,
I find myself needing to wire a computer fan,
A bit perplexed I found a red, black and yellow wire.
All have a resistance,
I have a 12v power supply with a much larger current rating,
I really don't want to blow anything up,
proberbley a stupid question what goes where,

Baz

What could possibly go wrong, ?

Positive side of the supply to red, negative side to black, and ignore the yellow.

The yellow is used as a speed detector or fan fail alarm, if you are not using it, just insulate it and tie it back out of the way.

JimB

You are welcome.

I had the same problem myself two weeks or so ago.

My thought process to find the solution went like this:
The Red and Black are 99% certain to be the supply.
The Yellow could be a control wire of some kind, or from previous experience more likely a signal wire to tell if the fan has stopped.
Connect the power, the fan runs.
Check the yellow with the 'scope, there is something there.
Connect a 1k pull-up resistor between red and yellow, scope shows a nice square wave, 99% certain to be a speed signal.
I don't need a speed signal, so just insulate the yellow and tie it back.
Job done.

JimB

The μp fans can now be the optional 3 or 4 wire, on the 3 wire type the 3rd wire is the speed or operation detection, the 4th wire is the speed control, varies rpm with temp..
Max.

The third wire could be a fan speed control *input*, wither an analog voltage or PWM. Either way, these usually default to full speed when left open.

ak

Yellow is a squarewave tacho signal.
Blue on 4 wires is a pwm input, the higher the duty cycle the slower the fan goes.
Any pc fan I've played with connecting red & black to power and leaving any others dis makes it run minimum speed, connecting the blue to + makes the fan run flat out, the only exception being ones that have a built in temp sensor.

Just in case anyone lands here:

From my yesterday's test on a 4-pins connector fan, having the black wire on your left, you get:

black - GND
yellow - +12V
green - tacho signal - 2 pulses per revolution
light blue - PWM ctrl (see below)

The 3-pin fans may be used here knowing that you do not have that PWM ctrl available.

As per the governing standard (reccomendations?) the PWM control should be a nominal 25KHz signal (0-5V).

Worth to note:

In tacho output I used a 10K pull-up resistor to 12V.

With no signal in pin 4 the fans goes fast.

0V on pin 4 gets the fan running to a supposed "minimum" of 30%.

Steady 5V on pin 4 means NO change in speed.

PWM ctrl (between 20 and 80% that my function generator allows) seems to have a very linear response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back