Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer Clean-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene

I am running Windows 98 SE and would like to REALY clean the hard drive of internet junk. Now, I can go to TOOLS > OPTIONS and delete cookies, temp files, and history but I find tons of information in the index.dat files (2 of them) which can be deleted from DOS (not Windows). They reappear (clean) on re-boot.

I hate that Windows puts stuff all over the hard drive and wonder if there is web information still stored somewhere. Now, this is begining to sound like I have something to hide - I don't. I do defrag about once a month and like to keep things neat and tidy. Are there other areas that should be cleaned-up?

I'm not sure what other things you should delete, you could try a deltree from dos on the temporary internet files folder, maybe the history folder as well. But I've always found that Windows 98 installs really start to go sour after a while. It doesn't clean up after itself very well, and becomes less speedy and stable, even if you defrag it.

I personally would go for a reformat, it's always nice to have a fresh install of windows that you know for sure doesn't have any spyware, viruses, or superfluous programs running in the background. And if your finances permit, I'd also get either win2k or xp, I prefer those to win98, and consider them more stable.

yea just go in c:\windows\temporary internet files and delete everything in there. that will get rid of the stuff that Tools -> Options does get (cookies and the like)

hope that helps

david

Thanks to all. I do a reformat at least annually and I'm working with XP on another machine but not sure that I like it better. It is true that Windows tries to save everything - even when you think you have deleted things, they seem to still live - maybe in another directory.

I will check into reg cleaner. I tried "Clean Sweep" once and found it to be trash. I also tried "Guard Dog" and found it to be a farce - didn't work at all like it was supposed to. To me, the absolute worse program is called a Windows update (I know, there are lots). This one constantly monitors your computer and tells you that you need to download more stuff - without explination. Do I really need MS monitoring my machine. Maybe you think I'm parnoid, but I do like a clean, fast running machine.

You should be able to disable automatic updating. I update my computer regularly, but I don't need windows constantly checking to see if any new updates, or the updates that don't apply to me, are available. It's been a while since I've used win98, but in winXP it's located after you right click on my computer and go to properties. If it's not there in win98, you could try the windows help files. Their searching algorithms for the help files kinda sucks, but it will usually tell you what you're looking for.

i use www.STEGANOS.com to clean up my pc. it has a internet trace eraser, and as i tried to find cookies and html and oll sort of things that remain on the computer found none. i use the free version, wich i got from a magazine. as for the temporary internet files, i erase the folder with SHIFT+DELETE, and then create a new one. also, you might chect on shared information folder, and in the ContentIE5.0 or how it is called, because some files are atored there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back