Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Compound Pair vs Darlington Pairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky-Luka

Hi all
I've read that Sziklai pair are more thermically stable than Darlington ones.
I've read that the influence of the output device is considerably less than that of the driver using the Sziklai configuration.
Unfortunately I haven't really understood what it means...

Happy holidays

Attachments

• comparison.png
    comparison.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 153
Note that the bias on Q5 only needs to be 1.2 to 1.4v range and Q10 must be double. The power dissipated by Q10 is, therefore, double as well. The thermal effects on the bias will be much greater as well so either too much current or not enough. Also, this transistor is typically mounted on the same heat sink as the two output transistors (typically Darlington) to maintain the same bias throughout the temp swing but does not track as well with Darlington as a single NPN or pnp.

on the other hand, streaming is the wave of the future and the quality of amplifier is the least of one's concerns if they are looking for quality listening experience. Vinyl, take me away!

You cannot stream directly to your brain, yet. Wideband low distortion power amplifiers and wideband speakers are still needed.
Vinyl produced click, pop, click, pop, rumble, hiss, wow and flutter.

Vinyl produced click, pop, click, pop, rumble, hiss, wow and flutter.
Yes, I totally fail to understand the fascination with vinyl (along with tube amps).
I listened to vinyl records for may years, and all those problems you mentioned (along with reduced frequency response at the inner grooves) were a very large annoyance to me.
I was really happy when I listened to my first CD recording, and all that disappeared, with the music being perfectly clear.

So, is the voltage bias on the Vbe multiplier the main culprit of the difference in thermal stability?

I've read that Sziklai pair are more thermically stable than Darlington ones.
That's because the base-emitter voltage change with temperature is generated by two base-emitter junctions for the standard Darlington pair, and only one junction with the Sziklai pair.

I've also read that Szikai configuration should behave better against distortion... Is it true?
I've tried a comparison but it looks like that Darlington behaves better. Am i wrong?

Attachments

• comparison2.png
    comparison2.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 12-26-output_circuit_sziklai_vs darlington.asc
    4.3 KB · Views: 100
How can you talk about distortion when you do not have a complete amplifier? Your amplifier is missing lots of open-loop gain and negative feedback.

If the voltage gain of the front of the amplifier is 10,000 times then the 0.2% distortion caused in the output stage will be reduced to about 0.002% with negative feedback and a closed loop gain of 100 times.

I've tried a comparison but it looks like that Darlington behaves better. Am i wrong?
That small difference in distortion may be just do the slight bias differences between the two circuits, as much as the difference in the two configurations.

I agree with the comments about vinyl, I can't understand the sudden fascination by a small percentage of the population for old low spec technology?.

However, as for the actual discussion - both techniques have been used in countless amplifiers over the decades, and essentially there's no 'best' method, some of the best sounding amplifiers of all time were relatively crude, and long pre-dated Sziklai pairs.

Technically the Sziklai pair has a number of advantages, and the only reason it wasn't used more was that high power PNP transistors weren't available, and then those that were cost a great deal more, so weren't used. The standard technique was quasi-complimentary, so as to use NPN output devices, and many such amplifiers are still well regarded today.

many call that a Complementary Feedback Pair (CFP)
this is good explanation of the differences between CFP and darlingtons.
most articles i have seen about CFP agree that the CFP has lower distortion and better thermal stability. the thermal sensor (bias transistor) doesn't need to be on the heatsink near the output devices, but thermally bonded to the drivers instead.

simulation tip: LTSpice has data compression activated by default, which tends to add artifacts that show up as distortion in the sine wave source. turning the compression off in the options menu will remove the distortion from the sine wave source... with compression on, you could have a circuit that only causes 0.05% THD, but your results will never show below 0.5% with the compression off you will see a big difference. if you need to verify that, just get a trace from V3 or V4, and open the FFT window, and you will see what i mean.

Oh God, I didn't mean to say vinyl was better, just old-school and easier to understand that the varying bit-rates and various noises, buffering and other crap of streaming that greatly overshadow the very slight differences between the various amplifier designs the OP is discussing (as does vinyl).

In the schematic above, is Q5 the bias transistor and Q2 and Q4 the drivers, right?
Yes on Q5 but, Technically, Q1 and Q3 are the drivers.

If he means the schematic in post #1 (the only schematic I can see?), there are no drivers, just a bias transistor and darlington outputs (of various types).
I thought the biasing transistor and the drivers were the ones pointed in the attached pic.

Attachments

• question3.png
    question3.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 107
The latest schematic was in post #7. The driver transistors were Q2 and Q4.

Thermally, the transistors in a compound pair (Sziklai pair) are completely separate unless they are bolted close together in a heatsink..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back