Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Components to start width

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan719

Im geting in to electronic and i have sen on some site a list of recomended components and recomended resitor and capacitator values.Im planing to buy components.

It was on the web site about electronics tutorials and stuf like that and i didnt put it in my favorites now i cant find it

Dose anyone have the adress of this site or the recomended components list? I dont know what components to buy

I'd suggest that you take some time to review what you might build then prepare a parts list so that you can start shopping. Many of the tutorials are written by the same person and the circuits tend to use common components. The author's appear to be sensitive to parts procurement and tend to stick within a limited list of values for components. I've got some of the Radio Shack books that share this characteristic. The reward for doing all this is that you'll have what you need on hand to actually build something the way it's described.

Worth considering are the 50 in 1 or 200 in 1 experimenter/trainers that can be had at reasonable costs. On the surface they appear to be toys for kids but parts are parts - electronics is the same. There are also more advanced trainers if money is less of an object. If you want to duplicate something - purchase the parts then.

At some point you'll want to experiment a little - that might be the time to expand your parts inventory. What to buy is determined somewhat by the general area that you work in but you'll start figuring out what you need. At that point it might make sense to purchase the resistor assortments offered by Radio Shack, Jameco or similar distributors.

With all that said don't turn down someone's offer of free stuff. More than once I've had friends stop by who were just starting to learn about electronics. I'll grab some plastic bags and toss in a few items that I have as extras to get them started. Discarded electronics can be a good source too but be careful that you don't expose yourself to harmful substances.

It seems like collecting a bunch of parts - more being better than less - just seems like the place to start. I won't argue that it's a ton of fun but at some point the excess inventory can get in the way. There is something to be said for improvising - making do with what you have. That's something that's best done by the experienced.

Common transistors that I see used in simple circuits -

2N2222A
2N2907

2N3904
2N3906

MPF-102 (FET)

2N3055 (power)

Diodes/rectifiers

1N914
1N34A (germanium)
1N4001 series - look at Jameco

Common ICs

LM741 op amp
LM339 comparator
LM324 op amp
LM386 audio amp
LM317 variable voltage regulator
555 timer

I wanted to give you something. Realize that I live here in the US so these items are easy to come by.

Starter kits

Look back at https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/transistor-switch-problem.4209/

If you ask a hundred people you will get a hundred different answers to this question :? it also depends on where in the world you are - Japan, US or Europe - a transistor that is common in Japan may be hard to find in the UK :shock:

The idea of something like a 300-in-one experimenter's kit is good - I started with one of these - I still have some of the bits *@ years later :!:

Both posters gave sound advice . The only thing I can add is that many suppliers offer "Assortments" of various components. Where you will buy 1 PN2222 ( small transistor) for a dollar and X-cents for $3 dollars You can buy an assortment that has 15 from Radio Shack .

Theres a lot of suppliers that offer these kits. Radio Shack is one: https://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_011_002_017_000&Page=1

Digakey is another as is Mouser ( goggle them). Good luck.

Hi Dan,

You could look in your history for it. (the sundial)

Or maybe run 'Spider' to find it,
but that might take a while, there's usually a lot to go through.

Or look for some alternative source.

John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back