Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Components queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spasm

Hi all,

I have some questions regarding components.

1. Lets say I have a schematic that shows connections using inductor and capacitors. Now, in the schematic, it is given the reference number for the component but I can't get the exact piece in my place due to lack of distributors. Therefore, is it safe to replace the components with similar value ones? (Lets say the capacitors used are 22pF, with specific product number). Should I just replace with similar capacitance or should i consider other parameters?

2. Has anyone used the SP3223EEA RS232 driver chip? Is it the same as MAX3223CPP? I've read the manual and it seems the same to me. Maybe I missed something, can anyone point out?

Thanx all

Spasm said:
Hi all,

I have some questions regarding components.

1. Lets say I have a schematic that shows connections using inductor and capacitors. Now, in the schematic, it is given the reference number for the component but I can't get the exact piece in my place due to lack of distributors. Therefore, is it safe to replace the components with similar value ones? (Lets say the capacitors used are 22pF, with specific product number). Should I just replace with similar capacitance or should i consider other parameters?

Mostly you can replace with similar values, often you can even use different values - but you need to understand what the component is actually doing, and how a change in value might affect it.

Occasionally though you may need a specific type of component, in particular capacitors in oscillator circuits may need to be silver mica (or other high stability construction) to reduce drift. Sometimes components are specifically picked for temperature stability, and may even be chosen to have the opposite temperature co-efficient to another component, so they cancel each other out.

So you do need to be careful!.

Hey...

Lets say the circuit is a LC filter coupled to my module DC power source...is it very important to choose the correct component since its just a power source? I've noticed one of the capacitors reference number is Ceramic CMS 25V. Does this mean I have to choose a ceramic capacitor?

Thanx

Spasm said:
Hey...

Lets say the circuit is a LC filter coupled to my module DC power source...is it very important to choose the correct component since its just a power source? I've noticed one of the capacitors reference number is Ceramic CMS 25V. Does this mean I have to choose a ceramic capacitor?

Thanx

I would have thought any type of capacitor would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back