Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Component-level Reverse Engineering Techniques?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

It's pretty easy to go to a search engine or corner bookstore and find a ton of material on engineering at the component level. I've never seen any on basic reverse-engineering though.

Mainly what I'm looking for are methods for taking the PCB of an existing device, and deriving a schematic from the board. Like when you normally design a circuitboard: you do the schematic first, then you have the ratsnest to help you piece together your circuitboard, then you draw the traces. What I want to do is just that, but in reverse order. Are there any good web sites or books on doing that stuff?

You're not going to find any easy way of doing it, basically you sit down with a big piece of paper and start drawing the circuit out - it's a difficult job, and takes a considerable time (and often many sheets of paper).

One helpful tool is a bright light source, that can shine through the PCB so you can see the traces from the component side - another advantage is knowledge and experience, so you know what sort of configurations you might be getting.

You can quickly figure out small circuits but you normally don't learn much.

Use a 2 step process

1. Identify all components and draw them out
2. Using an ohm meter, find what is connected where until everything is done.

Some additional things I have used:

1) Photocopying the PCB -- not really as helpful as it may seem to be, but it gives you a place to write things down and allows easy mirroring. If you don't have a program to do that, you can put oil on the paper to get the mirror image.

2) Several colored markers to trace, like VCC, GND, a particular signal. I generally get by with 3 or 4 colors (red, black, green, blue). Those colors show up well on the PCB traces.

3) At some point, I find I need to remove at least some of the components.

I have only had success with old designs. Newer designs are often based on microcontrollers.

John

Based on visual check and photocopies (normal, mirrored, resized, etc.), I draw the PCB in vectorial format using a PCB layout tool (a part of a full line design and simulation tools) - placing the component footprints and routing the board manually, exploiting the software facilities. Then I draw schematic diagram and I see if the configuration of the circuit is correct. If the topology is new for me, I try to understand how it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back