Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

component identification & replacement: automotive diagnostic module

Status
Not open for further replies.

M104-AMG

Can someone help me in finding replacement components for a 16-year old automotive (Mazda) diagnostic module ?

Diodes:
Using my Fluke 79 DMM set to the "diode" mode, all of the circled diodes are testing "open" in both directions, which supposedly means ALL of these diodes are "open" and need to be replaced.

The only markings I see are a "D" or "O" and a "4" (see attached pics for details).

Transistors:
NEC J143
NEC B1151
K105

Thanks,
:) neil

BTW: input voltages are only 14.2-VDC, electrolytic caps are rated at 25-VDC, and have been replaced.

Attachments

• diagnostic-module-airbag-detail-diode.JPG
    diagnostic-module-airbag-detail-diode.JPG
    468.2 KB · Views: 1,510
  • diagnostic-module-airbag-web.JPG
    diagnostic-module-airbag-web.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Here are some datasheets which may be the correct transistors, and may help in determining the diodes (I can't believe so many test "open").

Thanks,

Attachments

• 101608_1 for NEC J153.pdf
    103.6 KB · Views: 463
  • 153669_1 NEC B1150-series.pdf
    153.9 KB · Views: 343
  • SJD00043BED for NEC B1151 replacement.pdf
    95.6 KB · Views: 425
Do you know what those diodes do? It seems more than a little unusual that you'd lose 8 diodes like that. Have you tested the transistors to see if they need replacing or at least if they fail a diode test as well?

Last edited:
What does this module do?

It looks to small for an ECM. Make,model year?

The diagnostic module is an airbag diagnostic module and is used to "fire" the airbag.

I have no schematic, and it seems ALL of the same diodes test "open" in both directions.

Attached is a narrative of the function of the module.

The module gives me a "3-blink" error, which means there's something wrong in the power-supply to the diagnostic module.

The flow-chart says to test all voltage inputs into the module. If they pass, then there's something wrong with the powersupply INSIDE the diagnostic module.

From the transistor id numbers, this is high-current transistor (NEC J153).

I'm thinking the transistors wend bad, and then they took out the diodes.

I am de-soldering one of the NEC J153 transistors, as both are testing open, to test out of circuit.

What do you think ?

Attachments

• airbag diag-module-description.JPG
    airbag diag-module-description.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 554
I seriously doubt all those diodes are bad, which makes me think they are all OK. Remove one and test it out of circuit, I bet it tests fine then (assuming your meter is OK).

What does this module do?

It looks to small for an ECM. Make,model year?

Airbag diagnostic module, for a 1993 Mazda RX7.

Numbers on component:

NEC J143

I removed the transistors and both test "open" in the "diode" setting on my Fluke 79. Perhaps I'm testing it wrong.

How does "Gate, Drain, Source" map to "Emitter, Collector, Base" ?

Also, anyone have an equivalent part number from Digikey ?

PS: now removing two diodes for out of circuit testing

Attachments

103.6 KB · Views: 337
I am de-soldering one of the NEC J153 transistors, as both are testing open, to test out of circuit.

What do you think ?
I'm thinking that everything you test shows open. Are you sure the meter is good, your using it correctly :D or that the board isn't coated with something that's permitting contact with the leads.

I'm thinking that everything you test shows open. Are you sure the meter is good, your using it correctly :D or that the board isn't coated with something that's permitting contact with the leads.

I double-checked how to use the "diode check" on the Fluke79, and I didn't put it in the right mode (hold down 2-seconds, not 1).

All silver-banded diodes test OK.

Two green-banded diodes failed. Their marking are"D4" or "4D". Any suggestions for these replacements ?

I am assuming the transistor marked NEC J143 is a 2SJ143 PNP transistor (see attached PDF).

Here's the map I used:

Gate = Emitter
Drain = Collector
Source = Base

Assuming the above, tests show both transistors bad.

Anyone know of an equivalent from DigiKey for 2SJ143 ?

Thanks,

Attachments

103.6 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
I circled the bad transistor & diodes.

Need help finding equivalents.

Attachments

• diagnostic-module-airbag-bad-MOSFET-diode.JPG
    diagnostic-module-airbag-bad-MOSFET-diode.JPG
    380.4 KB · Views: 527
The transistors indicated are mosfets and do not check like a regular transistor.

source to drain will read open until triggered by the gate at which point they will go short(a few ohms) depending on the gate voltage.
Two green-banded diodes failed.
In what way are they failed.

What is the resistance from resistance mode in both directions of the dud parts?
What are the readings in diode test both directions?

Last edited:
I lost one of the diodes.

Any idea on what replace them with ?

I could take one off the board, but there are no definitive identifying marks.

What measurements could I take and then make an educated guess ?

Thanks,
:-( neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back