Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

comparison between 'OrCAD' and 'open source' pcb designing software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a beginner in PCB Designing...

I have two questions:

1.) Is the 'open source software' e.g. KICAD for pcb design as powerful and flexible as Cadence ORCAD...?

2.) Is the 'pattern of using i.e. features and icons etc. ' is same for both 'open source software' and 'OrCAD'...?

Regards,

Simran

I've not used Kicad; I have messed with Orcad a bit in the past, but never really got on with it; we use a different commercial one.

A free one I have looked at - Designspark PCB. It's not open source but does seem pretty good.

It also integrates with a massive online parts database & the place that runs that will create a model (component symbol & PCB layout pattern etc.) for any part that's not in the database.

You can get it here:

I have used older versions of OrCad, but have now used KiCad for some time and although a bit of a learning curve, it is equal IMO.
There are also many Utube tutor videos.
Also FREE, and being sponsored by CERN helps a bit!;)
Max.

I've not used Kicad; I have messed with Orcad a bit in the past, but never really got on with it; we use a different commercial one.

A free one I have looked at - Designspark PCB. It's not open source but does seem pretty good.

It also integrates with a massive online parts database & the place that runs that will create a model (component symbol & PCB layout pattern etc.) for any part that's not in the database.

I also use Designspark PCB, however they WON'T create models for 'any' component, I've had a number of parts (and all actually RS parts) which they refuse to do. You can do them yourself (and I have), but it's easier to let them do it :D

Following this thread, I have downloaded KICAD to have a play with.

I did some new boards on Friday (and sent the files off for manufacturing), but I stuck with Designspark PCB for now, I'll try KICAD when I have more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back