Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Communication Between PC And Vending Machine Using PC's RS232 Using Virtual COM Port (USB) Cable And Vending Machine's Multi-Drop Bus Port (MDB) Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusVend

I've disconnected the MDB cable from the first MDB port (MDB1) and connected it to MDB2 on the vending machine. I contacted our vending machine supplier Benleigh Vending and they stated that the switching of connections should be automatic but I can't seem to get a reply from MDB2 when I send a signal from my PC application which is sent from an application using RS232 (USB Virtual COM Port COM7) port to the MDB port on the vending machine. I chose the MDB2 port on the vending machine as MDB1 caused issues with the vending machine operations and the PC running Windows 10 Professional. I searched for a switch on the motherboard but couldn't find one. I'm wondering what I should do?

Call tech support for the vending machine company is probably going to be your best chance of sucess, maybe they have some one who can team-viewer in and help you remotely.

Double check in device manager that it is actually com7. Do you get an error message from the software?

Mike.

I think you will likely find the "MDB" connections are not RS232 (using 12V levels) but balanced line such as RS485 or RS422.

You can get USB-Serial adapters to suit those, but they are less common than basic USB COM Port type adapters.

For those trying to solve this problem
OK, looking though the site there is a user manual for their device, which includes the circuit for the MDB interface.
It appears to actually be a current-loop- type system..

See page 8 of the manual:
**broken link removed**

rjenkinsgb You can make a PDF link open to a specific page (8) by appending "#page=8"

Non-link
https://www.qibixx.com/fileadmin/user_upload/documentation/QIBIXX_MDB-USB_Interface_MS_Product_Documentation.pdf#page=8

Link open to page 8
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back