Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Colour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
In Bryan's explanation of said board the mention of colour output grabbed my ears... Has anyone else looked into this as this would be a BIG plus for this little device..

I have bought two 7" touch VGA (window7 compatible screens). I would love to be able to use these.

Explanation of what where?

In Bryans original post (before it was moved) there was a mention of changing to some sort of colour output by the way of resistors..... After analysing the schematics I found that it would be difficult as the RGB pins are hard wired to a single pin.

That was my suggestion I think, to use 3 resistors connected to other pins on the PIC to generate some colour ability. That was a long time ago now (1 year!), when I emailed Geoff Graham and he said he already had some ideas for colour.

In the "Silicon Chip" (Australian electronics magazine) recent edition they have released a Maximite in colour (finally!) and it is on Geoff's web page here;
https://www.geoffg.net/maximite.html
and looks pretty cool. :) The only problem now is that the Maximite may be overshadowed a bit by the Rasberry Pi etc which has more processing power, higher screen resolution, Linux etc, and will appeal to many of the same target audience. The Maximite is still a very cool gizmo.

I bought a UBW32... Connected a few components and it powers up with an RGB monitor and runs excellent.... 8 colours, SD card as B drive, stereo sound and PS2 keyboard...

It works brilliantly I can get used to this device.... The only icky I have is the colours in MODE 4 ( Half resoultion ) are a bit messy... When I check the RGB output in the native mode, the signal is clean.. when in this half resolution MODE 4 the signal is noisy... Ill try to do a scope still frame and post it..... Meanwhile. Any Idea's

The only difference in the circuit ( apart from it being on stripboard ) is the diodes on the RGB output, the schematic has 1n4148 high speed diodes... I only had 1n914 high speed diodes.

I didn't think it was these as it works at the faster resolution..

G'day guys,
Well the real place for MM/DM questions is https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=16 and what ever question you have I'm sure the members over there will be of help.

Regards Bryan

P.S. Mention this forum or put a link in and we may get some members and this MM/DM forum can of use.

Last edited:
Apparently... There isn't a problem with the circuitry... If the CLS command isn't used it works very well indeed.

I would like to promote this unit... This is an absolutely brilliant little board.. Mine was up and running in minutes....

UPDATE!!

Geoff has just posted a new ( fixed ) firmware.... That's what I call service... The computer works perfectly now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knq5vX65Xy4 This is the kind of stuff this little machine can do... I downloaded the samples, then run them... Simple.

The little device can play mods ( anyone who doesn't know anything about mods.... Download Fast Tracker ( run in a dos box ) You'll have to google this as I cannot verify any download links.

I have plenty of mods (I'm an old amiga guy.... Hey!!! less of the old ). This little computer can connect directly to a PC using USB 2.0... It can handle HUGE SD cards..... I like the DOS its clean and easy to use.. Anyone who has used a shell before can dive straight in..

The UBW32 cost me @ £39 and the parts were about £20 I have a 7" touch screen LCD monitor with sound ( this unfortunately needed amplifiying ) .

If this seems like I'm promoting the system.... I am.. I don't benefit from promoting this little device, I think people need to know they can get one of these up and running in less than an hour.

EM has asked for user input.... This is mine..

Yep!! I was playing it yesterday... I stuck it in mode 1 with yellow colour... Played about 2 levels... There is also soduku... ( that's really good )

Someone has written Invaders.... Its a very good attempt, but needs optimising.. I'm loading the mandlebrot at the moment!!! Takes about 15 mins...

I really can't believe how fast this is with SPI generated RGB video out.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back