Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

College: Thinking of giving up

Status
Not open for further replies.
bryan1 said:
I once was told that if I went over to Texas and worked on a road where the oil refineries are and did shutdowns for 5 years I'd become a millionaire and I wouldn't reach the end of the road.

anyway this is just a suggestion as I don't know what sort of wages a coded welder would get over in your area but getting a trade behind you would be a bonus for life.

It looks like there are three options.

1. Go to school, get a piece of paper (diploma).
2. Start your own business, be successful at it.
3. Go to a production site and work there.

HOWEVER, There are disadvantages in ALL THREE!

If you chose #1, you will have to ensure that you are able to meet living expenses while you go to school. The chances of getting a decent pay from a part time job (if you can get one) while you are at school are low.
If you are lucky, you might be able to get a diploma, just from studying online. Also, a JOB is not guaranteed. Once you have the diploma, you still have to find a job and showcase yourself in an interview. The odds of getting a job are greater.

If you chose #2, you will have to determine a title, and be able to know it well. You must know it so well, that you can answer ANY question your customer(s) have that are related to your business. Also, you may need to invest some money to buy whatever is needed to keep it going. The disadvantage here is that your knowledge, location, reputation, # of shoppers (your customers that actually buy something), and the price all determine how much money you will make.

Digitan, you will need to cool down before you even think about picking option #2.

If you choose option #3, then most of your free time is used up. Also your body will become sore after awhile, especially if you are continuously moving heavy objects. Most of the jobs are full-time, and a bell will determine when breaks start and end.

You could also consider going for a job as an electrical test technician, did you gain any qualifications at college?

You only need an HNC for most technician posts and they can often be less stressful than design where there's always the worry of the customer comming back if they've found problems with your work.

Yeah, I'm trying to get an assembly/test job for the summer through my temp agency. Incidentally, I've been sort on money all year, which probably added to the stress. I guess you can say I've been having a mid-mid life crisis. All semester I've been looking back on life trying to figure out what I could've done to fix this kind of thing. Stress I can handle, but not if there's no benefit to it, that's just crazy.

@ Hero999: Yeah, Maxwell's and all the vector calculus gave me a lot of trouble this semester. I was doing Emag 1 year after the vector calc class and forgot all the rules to it. By the time I got caught up, I'd already nuked my first exam. :( I had to start skipping lectures just to finish the homeworks.

DigiTan said:
Yeah, I'm trying to get an assembly/test job for the summer through my temp agency.
That was me 5 years ago, except I was looking for any job back then.

Incidentally, I've been short on money all year, which probably added to the stress.
As long as you have A job, that is what matters. Someone working in a food factory for the rest of their life will be financially set, but may suffer physical body pain from repetitive movement day after day.

I guess you can say I've been having a mid-mid life crisis.
I'm in a middle of a crisis as well. I'll tell you a story. First of all, when I was born (23 years ago), I would have thought that I lived with a 1/2 way decent full family. BUT, my father left us and moved to a near-by town. My older brother and I could see him only on weekends for 10 years. After that time, I never saw him again.

Now here's the killer: My father has NOT paid any child support for over 10 years. A lawyer representing my mom took him to court for child support, and the JUDGE (idiot!) has allowed him to get away with not making ANY child support payments. I wonder if it is because the judge thinks people over 18 don't get anything no matter how outstanding it is.

But I'm not done yet. I have a brother who has autism (in simple terms, a disability). 1/2 the time, he causes stress to the immediate family (My mom, my brother and myself) simply by repeating the same stuff over and over again, and making weird noises week after week.

Digitan, tell me your stresses (other than financial).

All semester I've been looking back on life trying to figure out what I could've done to fix this kind of thing.
Have you made a resume and a cover letter?
Have you applied to ANY job?

Here's the kicker about me. when I was looking for a job, I wanted ANYTHING that pays a cent, and doesn't kill me. This knocks factory jobs out of the window. I found a job fair in my area for a supermarket, applied and got in.
When I was interviewed, I had to select three positions of my choice. The problem with the three positions is that I knew absolutely NOTHING about any single one of them. So I made my self open and had them select one for me. But I put down 3 that I can do anyways.
When I got the call, my position seemed so funny at first, but now, it is paying my rent and some of my loan off. Yes, I'm the BUGGY GUY! :)

So far, if my schedule remains fixed at work (which it has been for almost a year), I could end up making a night-time business!

Well I was about to jump into this, just after docel, who's observations I couldn't agree with more; DigiTan, you have a very impressive portfolio! Your confidence seems low, in light of that. Sounds like your school works on the model 'kick them hard, and if they get back up, kick them some more. If they survive, they are good to go.'

Digi and Mstechca, you guys are way too young to be in mid-life crisis. You are both in your 20's? You have lots of time to recover, and make a good outcome. It is when you get to 50, or so, and realize that there is no possible way to achieve your goals, there is a crisis.

Mstechca, you can waste time, and your life, working for poverty wages. (I know, I've been there far too long myself.) If someone is willing to treat you well, they are also willing to pay you well.

Part of the 'human condition' is that we are constantly dealing with issues which can make us angry. If we don't, or can't, come to terms with that anger, it colors everything in our lives.

I had a situation similar to DigiTan, while in University. My problems mostly came from the department chair. Some of my colleagues could also see how vile and corrupt he was, but the department saw him as a hero, because of the funding he was able to generate. He moved to another institute, where he became president. There, he was FIRED for corruption. (Yea Karma!) Still, the adverse effects of his influence give me something to deal with. I could focus on that, and be a cripple for the rest of my life, or choose to get on with other things. (Hopefully I've done the latter, but sometimes I wonder.)

Now I'm facing returning to Canada, after five or so years abroad. I have fear to deal with. Like you, mstechca, my own country has only ever offered poverty. Employers who ask for several years 'experience,' and are only offering poverty wages. As for the global myth of 'experience,' do not some profit more than others, given the same experience? Also, it seems that 'Human Resource Managers' lack the intelligence to make decisions, and are only willing to sign off on some one else's authority. (Previous employers' testimony, or that of an educational institute.) I once tried to apply for work soldering circuit boards, but was rejected before any interview, because I didn't have a degree in EE. God, if the only job I could get with an EE was that, I think I'd buy a farm!

Given my mistrust of authority figures, I think only option 2, sounds viable for me, but even this late in life, I'm considering option 1. Go back to school, and get an EE. The fact that I haven't done serious math for about 20 years, makes me question that idea. If all else fails, I could end up back in Asia, which is not so bad - I bet the malls of component suppliers here would make your eyes pop out - It did that to me, at first!

Anyway, DigiTan, good luck with the summer job, I hope you get a good one. Having a good stash of cash should make your next year so much better. I forget, is next year your final? I didn't mean to go off in left field, but rather let you know, that you are a very bright and talented young man. Keep building your portfolio, and get through that degree, you will prevail!

Regards,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back