Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

College student needs some feedback on a ping pong scorekeeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgerMadison

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on Electro Tech. I am a first-year college student in an engineering program, and I was thinking of making a very simple ping pong scorekeeper for extra credit in a class I am taking. I took a look at some other posts, but they all seemed to be much more sophisticated, with a timer, and period indicator, and time-out indicators.

I would like to make a simple two digit score display (up to 21 points) Also, I would like to have a manual switch on each side of the table. When the switch is depressed, the score will increase, on that side, by one point. Finally I would like to make some kind of reset mechanism. It could be a third button, simply pulling a wire to remove the power, or once one side of the table reaches 21 points (button presses), the 22nd button press will bring the counter to zero.

I plan to use:

(2) two digit, seven segment displays, one per side (small, ~1 inch tall)

(2) simple manual switches, one per side

(1) power supply (9 volt battery perhaps?)

Some kind of a circuit board to connect everything to and provide programming necessary for operation. I don't really know what kind of circuit board will be sufficient for this project. Is this something I could ask someone at Radio Shack?

Any tips or pointers would be GREATLY appreciated, I really enjoy tinkering with little projects, but have only done "all-in-one kit projects" before. I want to step up to the big leagues and build my own little gadgets now that I'm in college.

If you use LED displays, a 9V battery won't last very long. You could an LCD driver to power an LCD display for long battery life, use bigger batteries, (say 6 D-cells in series), or a wall-wort supply.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's help! I am going to purchase everything needed today. I will probably consult back on the board, with any extra help. When I am done, I plan on posting pictures to show everyone the completed project.

Harvey, I am planning to use this project for table tennis only, If my roommate spills beer on it, I'd be really pissed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back