Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

College student bench equipment suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am between getting a used Tek from ebay for 400 or buying the a new Rigol. I might go with the rigol just because it has all the new features such as usb port to store snapshots and so forth. The used teks on ebay usually dont have that, but they are better scopes than Rigol I would say.

Buy the Rigol DS1054z.

I agree with Bill that the Rigol DS1054z is a great choice of 'scope.

For soldering iron, the Hakko FX-951 is excellent, but a bit pricey for a beginner.
Multimeter- just about any digital unit will do for starters. After many years in the industry, I blew some money on a fluke 87V and I'm very happy with it. All my past Flukes have been fine.
DC power supply - just about anything with built-in meter (or digital display), and with constant current capability (there are lots of brand names, that look a bit like this: **broken link removed**
Once you start working with surface mount parts, get yourself a good tweezer. Its surprising how good some of the ones at the drugstore can be. You need tips on these that are strong and precise, and prefer one that takes very little pressure to squeeze the tips together.

This is going to sound a bit unreasonable for this thread but for others reading this, for serious RF experimenters, (these are typically too expensive for a beginner) I strongly recommend getting a used HP 8920A communications test set. It is well made, very precise, and has many functions. You can call it a lab-in-a-box since it includes an audio signal generator/function generator, RF signal generator, RF receiver/modulation analyzer, RF power meter, AF voltmeter, Audio analyzer, oscilloscope, and with the right options, an RF spectrum analyzer. Its a serious piece of test gear for a ham or RF hobbyist. Sometimes colleges have these things sitting around collecting dust and that's a shame. Try borrowing one if your doing RF circuits.

Almost 10 years ago I bought a cheap ($35 at the time, now it's $25 or $20) Craftsman DMM from Kmart:

craftsman20digital20multimeter-1.jpg

I still use it very frequently and it gets the job done. Very rugged. Just keep in mind I think the leads for it are only CAT III (though the meter is supposedly rated as CAT V). Still going strong though, and I think in these 10 years it's only needed 1 battery change (if any--can't remember exactly). For beginners I highly recommend this meter. You probably don't need a Fluke at this point, unless you find one for a REALLY good deal. Also, if I remember correctly, Craftsman has a lifetime replacement warranty.... ;)

Almost 10 years ago I bought a cheap ($35 at the time, now it's $25 or $20) Craftsman DMM from Kmart:

craftsman20digital20multimeter-1.jpg

I still use it very frequently and it gets the job done. Very rugged. Just keep in mind I think the leads for it are only CAT III (though the meter is supposedly rated as CAT V). Still going strong though, and I think in these 10 years it's only needed 1 battery change (if any--can't remember exactly). For beginners I highly recommend this meter. You probably don't need a Fluke at this point, unless you find one for a REALLY good deal. Also, if I remember correctly, Craftsman has a lifetime replacement warranty.... ;)
would you recommend the craftman over this ?
**broken link removed**

Thank you,

would you recommend the craftman over this ?
**broken link removed**

Thank you,

Apples and oranges. The craftsman is a handheld meter, that one is a bench meter. Really can't compare them like that.

Personal preference here: I would go with a handheld. Need to check a car battery or Alternator? You have your hand held. Need to know which breaker controls which socket? Hand held is there. Need to make sure a circuit is turned off in a house before replacing a electrical socket? Yeap, handheld. These are just a few situations Ive come across on a semi-regular basis.

Also there's the question of space. A Bench top unit takes up precious space. A handheld can be tucked away somewhere until you need it. Your scope and soldering iron will take up the most space already (unless your like me and have your prototyping area and soldering area in different spots or you have a ton of space).

ADD: So you have to ultimately decide which will be better for your situation.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

For the soldering station I decided on the Hakko FX888D since it is very recommended and I want to invest in a good soldering station.

For the scope I could't get the rigol. I recently got a gift card for newegg for about 100 dollars and I wanted to invest that toward the scope. I also don't need an advanced scope I just need a basic one at home and for the advanced projects I will use the schools. On newegg website they have Hantek, Owon and Siglent scopes. Here are some that I found:

Siglent SDS1052DL for 279 dollars and really good reviews on amazon.

SIGLENT SDS1072CML ($329)

SIGLENT SDS1102CML
($398)
Hantek DSO5102P ($320)

Let me know which one is better and if they are other scopes within this price range.

For the Power supply I think I will buy a single channel for now and try to repair an old one that I have lying around in the future.
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Supply-Precision-Variable-Adjustable/dp/B00FEQZSXO

Multimeter I will keep the handheld one I have now. which is equivalent the the craftsman or go for the following auto ranging one: Mastech MS8268.

I will get these to start then I will buy more equipment in the future. Thanks

Last edited:
Perhaps you should consider this distributor:
https://www.saelig.com/product/M001...Eo-HThpYB1237xuvAslxcm5x-MuHTYnzIgaAlP98P8HAQ

I prefer Rigol scopes over those choices, so I vote "none of the above"
I have seen some very good reviews about siglent. I like the Rigol also but I am on a very small student budget, and I have a gift card to newegg I want to use to help pay for the scope. They unfortunately dont have the sub 400 dollars scopes at Newegg. Thank you

They unfortunately dont have the sub 400 dollars scopes at Newegg. Thank you

Their website shows that they are being supplied by TEquipment.net. And TEquipment.net does carry the DS1054z. So contact NewEgg and say that you'd like to give them your business (don't mention the gift card) and the Rigol DS1054z is the 'scope you've settled on.

Their website shows that they are being supplied by TEquipment.net. And TEquipment.net does carry the DS1054z. So contact NewEgg and say that you'd like to give them your business (don't mention the gift card) and the Rigol DS1054z is the 'scope you've settled on.
Thanks I talked to newegg they said they can't do anything about it and that i should send the seller an email.I sent them an email maybe they will list it next week hopefully otherwise I am out of luck and hope the siglent SDS1072CML will serve me well.

Thanks I talked to newegg they said they can't do anything about it and that i should send the seller an email.I sent them an email maybe they will list it next week hopefully otherwise I am out of luck and hope the siglent SDS1072CML will serve me well.

I have read good reviews for the Siglent SDS1072CML. The benefit the Rigol DS1054Z has over it is that the 1054 is a 4-channel, whereas the Sigilent is only 2-channel. It depends on your application, whether 2-channel will be enough or if you'll need 4 at some point in your near future. I bought a 1052 (2-channel flavor from Rigol) and immediately wished I'd gotten a 4-channel scope. They are far more useful in the long run.

Matt

I have read good reviews for the Siglent SDS1072CML. The benefit the Rigol DS1054Z has over it is that the 1054 is a 4-channel, whereas the Sigilent is only 2-channel. It depends on your application, whether 2-channel will be enough or if you'll need 4 at some point in your near future. I bought a 1052 (2-channel flavor from Rigol) and immediately wished I'd gotten a 4-channel scope. They are far more useful in the long run.

Matt
I agree with you it will be nice to have the 4 channel option. I hope they will positively respond to my email. Otherwise I think I will be happy to have a scope at home no matter the number of channels. Once I get a good engineering job I will buy another more expensive one if needed in the future.

Perhaps you should search for the 4- channel equivalent of the Sigilent 1072? I'm curious how the cost compares to the Rigol 1054.

Perhaps you should search for the 4- channel equivalent of the Sigilent 1072? I'm curious how the cost compares to the Rigol 1054.
I checked on their website and they dont appear to have sub $500 4 channels available they only have their high end models with 4 channels. I really hope the sellers will get back at me next week with a positive answer for the Rigol.

I sent TEquipment an email a few hours ago to see if I could push it along, and they just replied:

We are going to be offering this on NewEgg but it will be slightly more expensive. We are expecting these in the week of April 6th for new orders. They have been selling out before then even hit the loading dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back