Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coil Impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

codan

I was reading about Impedance & it says impedance, describes a measure of opposition to a sinusoidal alternating current (AC).
Sinusoidal meaning sine wave i guess.

What i was wondering is, does that apply also to a square wave source to pulse a coil?

If so would someone have the equation to calculate the impedance of a coil from Frequency & Inductance.

Thank You

I was reading about Impedance & it says impedance, describes a measure of opposition to a sinusoidal alternating current (AC).
Sinusoidal meaning sine wave i guess.

What i was wondering is, does that apply also to a square wave source to pulse a coil?

If so would someone have the equation to calculate the impedance of a coil from Frequency & Inductance.

Thank You

hi,
A square wave is made up of an infinite number of odd harmonic sine waves. [ inc the fundamental]

Sine Wave, Square Wave and Fourier

So you could analyse the effect of an inductor on say the fundamental and first 5 odd hamonics of a square wave.

EDIT:
as you are Spice user, why dont you sim this.??

Last edited:
The only insight that I could offer is that the sine wave, if pure and undistorted (or relatively so) is one frequency. A square wave might be described as being quite the opposite if you were to break it down across the spectrum. I don't know if there is sufficient power at non-fundamental frequencies of a square wave to interfere with your measurements.

Thanks again Eric & stevez,

Eric:
Yep, i will sim this once i learn how to get past "open file" with Spice haha!

Does this seem correct for the impedance of an Inductor:

Xl= 2*pi*F*L

Thanks again Eric & stevez,

Eric:
Yep, i will sim this once i learn how to get past "open file" with Spice haha!

Does this seem correct for the impedance of an Inductor:

Xl= 2*pi*F*L

yes, impedance.

Do you want an *asc starter file for this inductor.?

"Do you want an *asc starter file for this inductor.? "

Eric, you will have to excuse my ignorance on this but i guess it's an inductor file for spice, if so then sure, it would be good.

Thanks

"Do you want an *asc starter file for this inductor.? "

Eric, you will have to excuse my ignorance on this but i guess it's an inductor file for spice, if so then sure, it would be good.

Thanks

hi,

Just run the *.asc file using Spice.

Attachments

• Ind2a.asc
    631 bytes · Views: 150
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back