Coil Impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

codan

I was reading about Impedance & it says impedance, describes a measure of opposition to a sinusoidal alternating current (AC).
Sinusoidal meaning sine wave i guess.

What i was wondering is, does that apply also to a square wave source to pulse a coil?

If so would someone have the equation to calculate the impedance of a coil from Frequency & Inductance.

Thank You

hi,
A square wave is made up of an infinite number of odd harmonic sine waves. [ inc the fundamental]

Sine Wave, Square Wave and Fourier

So you could analyse the effect of an inductor on say the fundamental and first 5 odd hamonics of a square wave.

EDIT:
as you are Spice user, why dont you sim this.??

Last edited:
The only insight that I could offer is that the sine wave, if pure and undistorted (or relatively so) is one frequency. A square wave might be described as being quite the opposite if you were to break it down across the spectrum. I don't know if there is sufficient power at non-fundamental frequencies of a square wave to interfere with your measurements.

Thanks again Eric & stevez,

Eric:
Yep, i will sim this once i learn how to get past "open file" with Spice haha!

Does this seem correct for the impedance of an Inductor:

Xl= 2*pi*F*L

Thanks again Eric & stevez,

Eric:
Yep, i will sim this once i learn how to get past "open file" with Spice haha!

Does this seem correct for the impedance of an Inductor:

Xl= 2*pi*F*L

yes, impedance.

Do you want an *asc starter file for this inductor.?

"Do you want an *asc starter file for this inductor.? "

Eric, you will have to excuse my ignorance on this but i guess it's an inductor file for spice, if so then sure, it would be good.

Thanks

"Do you want an *asc starter file for this inductor.? "

Eric, you will have to excuse my ignorance on this but i guess it's an inductor file for spice, if so then sure, it would be good.

Thanks

hi,

Just run the *.asc file using Spice.

Attachments

• Ind2a.asc
    631 bytes · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…