Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coaxial Cables (Source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

I need to purchase some coaxial cables to connect various test equipment. BNC-BNC type, SMA-SMA, etc. Do any of you have a source where you buy cables at a decent price. Looking on EBAY I find quite a few, but not sure how the quality is. I am not particular to the cable type ie. RG-214, RG58, etc.

Thanks

Depends on your specs for loss vs f /100ft. There are many grades of RG58.
Loss and flexibility are also tradeoffs with price.

I won't say they are cheap, but they were for GPIB cables. www.l-com.com
They have a real catalog.

I had a whole lot of crimped BNC's at work. The hex crimp would always break loose. These were fixed with Kings ends.

I've never used them, but BNC compression might be an option. Here's a 75 ohm, not 50 ohm BNC compression connector.

Home:
It's now RG-6 "F" compression
I had 1000' of RG-6. I have a lot less now. Used most of it.
I have two colors of CAT 6. 1000' each.
I probably should get some F right angle compression.
EZ-RJ45's ; EZ-RJ11's

Work was mostly BNC, Triax and "N".
Adapters: A PL-259 adapter to N, banana to BNC (various)
The Triax cable was special, like $125 for 1 meter with connectors. Impregnated with graphite, Never found a source.
Some RJ45's, some RJ11's
A lot of AMP plastic CPC connectors.

I need to purchase some coaxial cables to connect various test equipment. BNC-BNC type, SMA-SMA, etc. Do any of you have a source where you buy cables at a decent price. Looking on EBAY I find quite a few, but not sure how the quality is. I am not particular to the cable type ie. RG-214, RG58, etc.

Thanks

I'd suggest megaphase cables, but you need to define the top end freq. and cable lengths you need to be handling. Then if you need matched sets for phase accuracy. Rg58 braid weave can be poor leading to odd amplitude losses across frequencies. Look for double shield coax with silver plated stranded core for optimum HF work and low skin losses. RG400 sounds suitable.

I recently got some LMR400 with N ends for low loss work. Best for longer feed lines etc, not desktop patch work.

I also just got a calibrated HP8753D, 3GHZ VNA (options 002,010) for precision work in doing Scatter parameter (S21,12,11) characterization of cables, filters, attenuators et al.
A precision SOL kit should be arriving soon and I plan to finally be able to 'make' cables with known spec up to 3Ghz. I have SMA,N,BNC,TNC,SO239 and F connectors/adapters on hand.
I have some 27C020 EEPROMS on order to do the FW upgrade, incoming as well. Don't fancy erasing 20yr + EPROMS and then verifying bits at the edge of the IC voltage specs to ensure proper FW upgrade.

As a learning exercise I am going to do some cascaded Helical band pass filters using 2 oz copper clad and characterize them.

I might be able to do a set of VNA calibrated cables for you in the short term if you want something that's not long.

I looked on Jameco Electronics website, based in Belmont, California, and keyed in "RG cables" - www.jameco.com. Theirs are reasonably priced long lengths ( 75 - 100 ft.), unsure if shorter precut lengths are sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back