Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CNC driver software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The design is for an automatic coil winder which can be found here. As well as an explenation. The software used can be downloaded through the link I provided.

Ron

The two basic stepper motor configurations are Bipolar (6 leads) and Unipolar (4 leads)
A 6V Bipolar Motor can also be a 12 V Unipolar motor by not using two leads.

The next part is whether micro-stepping is employed.

Two basic signaling schemes are used. 1) A CCW and CW (more likely active low) signal or 2) Direction and ~Enable (Not enable)

Commercial drivers will usually accept both control signals. Microstepping is optional.

Converting between Unipolar and Bipolar should be possible using an H-bridge and some logic, but if micostepping is used it might be really tough.

Thanks, I want to know the software for 3 axis cnc software to run with such a drivers with four input leads.

I am not sure what you are asking? A stepper motor either Unipolar or Bipolar will have an associated stepper motor driver. A Bipolar stepper motor will have a bipolar driver similar to this example. Note the driver inputs. There is a step input and a direction input. For the step input each pulse will rotate the motor 1 step in a chosen direction. The step (degrees of rotation) is a function of the motor. The motors in the link would be lousy for CNC as they have 7.5 degree steps or 48 steps for one full revolution. Very poor resolution.

The hardware driver for the stepper motor will interface to the computer using a port. The link is pretty old and uses the parallel port, newer software would use a USB port likely to interface to the stepper motor driver hardware. Additionally using the parallel port as it was used you could only drive 2 motors and not 3 motors for a 3 axis system.

A Google of CNC software will bring up dozens of hits and likewise Free CNC Software.

Ron

The hardware driver for the stepper motor will interface to the computer using a port. The link is pretty old and uses the parallel port, newer software would use a USB port likely to interface to the stepper motor driver hardware. Additionally using the parallel port as it was used you could only drive 2 motors and not 3 motors for a 3 axis system.

A Google of CNC software will bring up dozens of hits and likewise Free CNC Software.

Ron

@Ron, Mach3 and EMC2 both still use the parallel/printer port as the output and are capable of using four or five axis for CNC.

Shortbus, many thanks. How do they work it off the parallel port? I can see two axis easy, how do they get 3?

Wait, I think I have it figured out. I read my own post. Step and Direction is all a motor needs. Dumb Ron!

Ron

Last edited:
@ Ron, yeah there are 12 output pins on the printer port. The soft ware can also be used to control the spindle and coolant by using relays.

4 wires = bipolar only

5 wires = unipolar only

6 wires = unipolar OR bipolar Or bipolar half winding

8 wires = unipolar OR bipolar series OR bipolar parallel

I hope you don't mind if I correct your work Shortbus, but you left out one option;

4 wires = bipolar only

5 wires = unipolar only

6 wires = unipolar OR bipolar OR bipolar half winding

8 wires = unipolar OR bipolar series OR bipolar parallel OR bipolar half winding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back