Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CM200DU-24F woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usernametaken

So I have been following the Loneoceans site and settled on a CM200DU-24F brick to power my coil.
I pulled the top off to cut the RTC and the goop inside wasn't transparent, it was opaque.
Today I figured I had nothing to lose so I carefully removed some of the goop so I could cut the wires and I've found that it's different inside to the CM200 picture I was using as a reference.
Any and all help appreciated.

bridgedisable.jpg
goop.jpeg

First things first, who was the manufacturer of your IGBT? Was it Mitsubishi or was it someone else? Also, are you absolutely certain it is a -DU type?

You might be able to put the entire brick on a hotplate to slowly melt and pour out the goop, but I can't guarantee it will work. I've always just bought modules without RTC elements.

That's interesting because I am not seeing the RTC elements. That being said, removing the rest of the potting material would make things much easier to see.

Also note that Loneoceans ended up using CM300DU-24NFH IGBTs, not CM200DU-24Fs. I believe the images showing how to disable the RTC elements are for the CM300, not CM200. I'm not sure how the two physically differ internally.

Another comment, you mentioned that your DRSSTC has a resonant frequency of around 110kHz. These bricks will probably not work well at that frequency, they are designed for much slower switching speeds (less than 100kHz, closer to 50-70kHz)

Ahh, woops! I'm familiar with his DRSSTC3, in which he opted for the CM300s instead of the CM200s.

Do the best you can to remove the rest of the potting compound and we can take another look. My biggest concern is that you got gypped - you bought some IGBTs online that were made to look like CM200DU-24Hs but are in fact a cheaper version, just rebadged to look like a more expensive version. There's not really much evidence supporting this though, so carry on and do what you can. I'm definitely not seeing the RTC modules at the moment though. Perhaps they've been relocated?

Best I can get at the moment.
Heat doesn't work, paint thinner does (put some in a jar with some goop).
I'm pretty much writing this brick off, I'm going to soak it in thinner and have a decent look.

Attachments

• silicone.jpg
    silicone.jpg
    915.4 KB · Views: 229
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back