Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock With Heat Reactive Paints

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryam7

Hi,

I'm trying to design a clock with hands that change colour at a certain angle. To do that I want to use a heat reactive paint which changes colour when heated around 40 deg (C). I've attached a diagram of the possibilities that apply to the colour change.

My question is what's the best way to design the clock so that it automatically changes the colour of the hands? I've started thinking about the components, but not sure if I'm in the right direction.

- Nichrome strip to heat up the hands of the clock
- Motion sensors embedded in the body of the clock to detect the location of the hands.

I'm fairly new to electronics, so simple instructions will be very appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Maryam

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• Salvation 1010.pdf
    43.7 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
You will need some type of slip ring contacts to get power for the heaters on the hands.

You could perhaps determine position by a sensor (hall effect perhaps) to detect a small magnet attached to the clock mechanism gears.

Another way would be to embed IR emitters and sensors in the clock face to detect the reflection when a hand goes by.

Motion sensors on the hands would require several more connections that would have to go through slip ring contacts.

You will need some type of slip ring contacts to get power for the heaters on the hands.

You could perhaps determine position by a sensor (hall effect perhaps) to detect a small magnet attached to the clock mechanism gears.

Another way would be to embed IR emitters and sensors in the clock face to detect the reflection when a hand goes by.

Motion sensors on the hands would require several more connections that would have to go through slip ring contacts.

Using the slip ring idea, perhaps another wafer with an encoded track pattern for the colours

Thanks for your guidance Carl and Eric. :)

I think the slip ring would work best if I was to make the clock gear system. I'm however using a simple one with screw bezel (runs with a single AA battery) and I was going to attach the heaters to the hands.

Now if I'm to use the hall sensors or the IR emittor/sensor, could you guide me on the schematics? (i.e. I think I need two sensors to detect both hands and somehow program it to heat the hands when they're both turned "ON"?!

Thanks again. I highly appreciate your direction.

~maryam

Last edited:
Thanks for your guidance Carl and Eric. :)

I think the slip ring would work best if I was to make the clock gear system. I'm however using a simple one with screw bezel (runs with a single AA battery) and I was going to attach the heaters to the hands.

Now if I'm to use the hall sensors or the IR emittor/sensor, could you guide me on the schematics? (i.e. I think I need two sensors to detect both hands and somehow program it to heat the hands when they're both turned "ON"?!

Thanks again. I highly appreciate your direction.

~maryam
hi,
If the drive mechanism can stand the extra load, you could switch the colour periods using a dedicated set of slip rings, no electronic sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back