Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock Switching in Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally i have seen that on power on the controller is powered ON with internal FRC and then switched to external oscillator. Why it is done? Can i directly switch to oscillator mode?

You need to be more specific.

If you power up a micro using the internal OSC then you can switch between ext and int crystals ( if it's supported )

If you power up with the ext crystal you don't need to switch..

Thank you for the reply. Sorry i saw some codes where they were switching from internal clock to external oscillator. So i was little confused i also need to do the same way. Now i understood that i can directly configure for external oscillator. General question is when this clock switching will be useful? can you explain me.

I did a project that monitored some parameters. To increase battery life it used the 32k internal oscillator and once per day it switched to an external crystal to send a report via RS232. The internal 32k clock will use a lot less power than the crystal.

Mike,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry i saw some codes where they were switching from internal clock to external oscillator. So i was little confused i also need to do the same way. Now i understood that i can directly configure for external oscillator. General question is when this clock switching will be useful? can you explain me.

You say that you need to do it and then ask if that would be useful!!

The switching between clock sources has evolved with time. Please tell what micro you have in mind. And RTFM, first of all.

You can usually find out all you need to know about PIC oscillator configuration from the data sheet of whatever part you're using; it's almost always covered quite thoroughly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back