clearing a variable declared in INC file

Status
Not open for further replies.

danuke

I was wondering if there is a way to clear a variable declared within an .inc file in MPLab IDE. I'm wanting to use the Z variable to represent the zero bit in the status register and it appears that it is set as something else. The reason I think it may be another value is because when I use movfw Z, it loads 0x0E into the W register.

I want to leave the other declarations in the .inc file as they are, but just want to change that one declaration. I would rather it be in code so that I can use it in the code no matter the PIC that I use...

Thanks,
Joe

I think you will find that Z is equal to 2 which is the Zero bit in the status register. You did movfw Z and got 0E (the content of PCL). If you had done movlw Z you would have got 2.

Mike.

danuke said:
Thanks guys. Will adjust accordingly.

You shouldn't go changing values in the .INC files, certainly not something as important as Z - they aren't variables, they are simply text substitutions - if you feel you have a need to change them you're doing something SERIOUSLY wrong.

Nigel Goodwin said:
You shouldn't go changing values in the .INC files, certainly not something as important as Z - they aren't variables, they are simply text substitutions - if you feel you have a need to change them you're doing something SERIOUSLY wrong.

To be honest the only reason I was actually wanting to change it is because I'm a computer/electronics engineer student in college. Working with Microsoft Assembler, it refers to the zero bit as a Z flag. It's really not a huge deal for me to have to use something other than Z to refer to it. I also realize Z isn't a variable, but really was lacking a term to describe it accurately when I was trying to phrase my original question.

I wasn't referring to I'll adjust the inc file accordingly, but rather my program code. I can see where messing around in things like that can become a problem waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…