cleaning switching noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark

Hi Board,

I have a tight spec, need to filter DC/DC for MCU and analog sections . should I slightly increase the O/P voltage of my converter (say 5.2V) and then CLC /RC filter it is this enough rejection for MCU or analog circuits . I couldnt use Linear regulator instead as it would dissipate good amount of heat.

Can you help me with How do clean powersupply when power is derived directly for DC converter

-D

An RC filter with a large C is likely all you need to filter out the DC/DC hash. Use a C with a low ESR (tantalum, ceramic, special low ESR electro.s) as this will be the main cause of propagated ripple. Of course the resistor will drop voltage proportional to current; but this is unlikely an issue.

I have a tight spec, need to filter DC/DC for MCU and analog sections .
So where's this spec? If you can state converter ripple, voltage, desired ripple (filtered), output current, output voltage tolerance (filtered), the actual values can be calculated.

Hi,

The switching freq is 330KHz , accuracy is 2% , 150mV ripple , Output 5V@1Amp . Should the voltage at output be trimmed (+-15%)to higher side and then accomodate LC or RC drops .

Thanks

Hi,

The switching freq is 330KHz , accuracy is 2% , 150mV ripple , Output 5V@1Amp . Should the voltage at output be trimmed (+-15%)to higher side and then accomodate LC or RC drops .

Thanks

2% acc is the converter acc I take it. Well, you haven't specified an output ripple so what do you want? Anyway, the example below should give you an idea.

1 Amp (pretty high for an MCU) is going to be better filtered with an LC than an RC. For 5V/1A 150mV ripple in, L = 10uH + 0.05R, C = 47uF + 0.08R gives output of 4.95V with <1mV ripple.

An LC circuit is a cheap way of doing it. You can get linear regs with very low dropout (200mV at 1A), so this would keep the heat down and you also get a specified output noise and power supply rejection ratio, so you can determine what your output is going to look like.

I am not sure what your system looks like, but do the MCU and analogue sit on the same rail? Can't you provide the high current rail for your MCU from a dc/dc (as micros tend to be less sensitive to supply noise) and provide the sensitive analogue rail using a dc/dc + LDO or straight LDO?

Just a thought to consider...

Electron works hit the nail on the head here...an LDO.

I have been knocking up a lot of simple switch-mode power supplies for audio recently, both boost and buck. Radiated noise can be shielded, but filtering out the ripple is probably best done with an LDO linear regulator. I use them as post-switch mode filters all the time. They can be very efficient depending on current/drop out, more-so than an RC filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…