Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Classes oh boy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumiam

So next year I will be taking;
C++, Visual basic, Robotics, engineer draft 2, Electronics 2. which is hardest?

hi rumiam,
The 'hardest' could mean anything in this context.

This is not a smart ars*d answer, think about it.

The word 'hard' could apply to:-
The amount of study required to become competent in a subject.
The difficulty in applying the knowledge that you have acquired in your subject.
The list goes on..... and on........

As a general rule, the subject which you consider the 'hardest' is the one you have the least interest in.

rumiam said:
So next year I will be taking;
C++, Visual basic, Robotics, engineer draft 2, Electronics 2. which is hardest?

That depends on how your head works.
It depends on your school.

The mathmatics behind robotics is complex.
The same could be said for the Electronics class.

The programming stuff should not be hard if you keep up with the work.

I am not sure that I would bother with VB. Take a C# class (maybe not while taking C++) to learn the .NET stuff and more OOP. I do not dislike basic but you may not get much use out of it given the other languages you are learning.

I was surprised to see a drafting class. I hope it is CAD based.

Visual Basic is no longer made; why are you learning an obsolete language?

Because I think Microsoft offers a free version if you dig around on their website long enough.

VB.NET is great... What is wrong with it?

Marks256 said:

Gramo Please Forgive Me

Basic has come a long way since it was first introduced. But a lot of people still look down their nose at it. It depends on the company you keep. Given the classes the OP is taking I would think this to be the case.I am not a computer language bigot.
Use whatever makes you happy.

Marks256 said:
I suppose I was being pedantic, VB.NET is the next version of Visual Basic which is no longer sold.

I personally wouldn't invest too much time in learning a proprietary language that's tied to one platform anyway.

Very good points guys. What I mean by saying "hard" would be what eric had stated.

The amount of study required to become competent in a subject.
The difficulty in applying the knowledge that you have acquired in your subject.

I know electronics wont be all that hard for me because i had taken the first course which is a semester long and completed it in half of that amount of time.

Hero999 said:
I suppose I was being pedantic, VB.NET is the next version of Visual Basic which is no longer sold.

I personally wouldn't invest too much time in learning a proprietary language that's tied to one platform anyway.

heard of mono (not the disease...)?
https://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

No, mono is an opensource version of the .net framework for windows and linux. It has support for C# AND Visual Basic (.net, of course...)

If support/forum popularity is anything to go by, then the Basic language is the most popular in the world. Take a look at the Express Forums @ MSDN support, VB = 41,163, C (Both C# and C++ combined) = 21223
**broken link removed**

Micro controller compilers share a very similar trend, infact, take a look at the mikroElectronica forums, notice which the dominant is?
https://www.mikroe.com/forum/index.php

Basic seems to lead the market as an entry/intermediate/advanced programming language, it will probably never change. I guess the major aspect of its popularity lies with the fact that more people are exposed to Visual Basic during schooling/university than C, as a result, the market responds to such a demand

It might be a higher language, but to the majority of the market as it seems, this is not an issue. It does the job with minimal messing around, in a modular logical format

gramo said:
If support/forum popularity is anything to go by, then the Basic language is the most popular in the world. Take a look at the Express Forums @ MSDN support, VB = 41,163, C (Both C# and C++ combined) = 21223

Forum popularity is not an indicator of use.
It only indicates how popular the forums are.

Popularity only indicates popularity. BetMax..

If A is true but popular opinion disagrees that does not make A any less true.

Last edited:
More people are going out of their way to support others/get involved with forums for Visual Basic, why isn't that a good indication of its success?

If anything, the more feedback and communication on a product, the further enhanced and stable it becomes, I really don’t think Visual Basic is going anywhere for a long time to come

Like you said though, it's whatever the end user prefers. I have no need to save a nanosecond or two with C, so I'll stick with VB

The language choice is less important then the skill and style of the programmer.

gramo said:
More people are going out of their way to support others/get involved with forums for Visual Basic, why isn't that a good indication of its success?
It indicates popularity. Again remember BataMax less popular but better image.

It could mean several things...
  • Basic is most often used by non professional programmers who often seek help from others.
  • Basic is flawed and causes users to seek help.
I am not saying this is true. To get a real indication you need to sample from a random unbiased population of programmers. Unless you do that all you have is an opinion based on your perception.

In the early day many (maybe most) people who knew basic were self taught. They were the kings and queens of spaghetti code. When used in the academic community basic was a first language, a stepping stone not considered usable for serious applications.

Basic is still perceived to be a non profession language. The OP is studying to become a professional.

gramo said:
Like you said though, it's whatever the end user prefers. I have no need to save a nanosecond or two with C, so I'll stick with VB
People are inclined to stick with the language they know. That does not make that language any better or worse. It just says that we are not inclined to spend the time it takes to learn somthing new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back