Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Class B amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
usually websites dont explain these things as books do. so you should consult some book about amplifiers. like the book by Douglas Self.

what do u want to know about class B amplifier. are u building an amplifier. or do u want to write a paper about it?

well as i said that u should consult a book like "Audio Power Amplifier Handbook" by Douglas Self for all the classes of amplifiers.

well in class b the output current flows for half of the cycle of the input voltage. that is, class B produces an output current for half the time class A does. this is done by biasing the transistor at cutoff. only a positive cycle of the ac input voltage will drive an NPN transistor into conduction. for a PNP transistor a negative cycle will drive the transistor into conduction. in class A the trasistor remains in conduction for the full cycle. thats why alot of energy is lost as heat. and hence class A has the least efficiency of all the classes. but in class B the transistor remains in conduction for half the time. so less energy is dissipated as heat. therefore it has a greater efficiency. and as u progress along the alphabets the time for which the transistor remains in conduction decreases and the efficiency increases.

on the other hand there is a trade off to this increase in efficiency. the output waveform is a highly distorted version of the input waveform. but there is a way out of this. class B amplifiers are usually connected in a push pull arrangement. one transistor connected as class B conducts for half of the cycle and the other for the second half. this way the job is distributed among two transistors. and the efficiency increases.

class B amplifiers connected in a push pull arrangement are usually found at the last stage of the amplifier system. they have the capability to drive heavy loads like speakers.

i hope that helped.

class b amp

i dont know whether it helped "shoba" but that was a good explaination of class B amp. and a freshup for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back