Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Class A Efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

Hi,
Could someone please write down the formula for class-A PA efficiency?
I saw on the web different formulas.
Thank you.

Class A efficiency has a theoretical maximum of 50% - that is because the 1/2 the power will always be dissipated on the bias resistor (at least). It is the most linear of all the amplifiers; so it is used when distortion has to be kept to a minimum (e.g. Low Noise Amplifiers). Realistic efficiencies are more like 20-25% (and those are pretty good). Basic equation -> eff = P_RF / P_DC

You can check some basic info on the following site: **broken link removed**

Hi,
Thanks!

I'm familiar with the collector efficiency Eq. of P(RF)/P(DC).
However, as for Class-A PA, I don't know that's the correct P(RF) and P(DC).

For example, I read here that Class A Efficiency is 25%, not 50%:
**broken link removed**
Note that the efficiency is 25% at full output power. Its efficiency is less at a lower output power.
When it has no output power then the class-A amplifier is cooking at the same temperature as when it is at full output power.

If your load dissipates dc power as well as ac power (or rf power); then the maximum efficiency (and this is ideal) is 25%. This is the case for resistor-biased / dc-coupled transistors.

If the load only dissipates ac power; and you bias the amplifier so there are no resistive elements on the bias path; then the maximum efficiency is 50% (again ideal). This is the case for inductive-biased (through inductors, transformers, transmission lines) / ac-coupled transistors.

This is mostly mute; as you never really get close to any of these number. Heat loss, mismatch, device non-linearities (e.g. Vce to Vds ≠ 0) takes care of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back