Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clap switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshidk

Hello everyone
I want to make a switch, toggled by sound (like a clap) and i found this circuit:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/61371413/Clap-Switch-3

I already built it and tested it, but i cant make it work..

Firstly i get no reaction from sound, i used a simple "electret microphone", but IC1 dont start from any sound i can make..

Secondly, to test the rest, i though i could just short the legs on the microphone and use it like a switch, then the output on IC2 goes high as supposed and the LED1 turns on for the 3 seconds.
But i cannot turn IC2 high with a second "short of the microphone"

I measured the output on IC3, and its only 7.5V, should this not be 9V?

for 555 timer i used this:
NE555P
(datasheet: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet2/c/0hex3d1gxjejda7ur3y2toipkzfy.pdf)

In the circuit plans, C3 has "10uF 25V" mine is "10uF 40V", then im on the right side right? Also why does C3 have a "direction", does it matter which is possitive or negative?

Can anyone see what else could be wrong? please just ask if you need other data/measures..

Instead of Diode 1N4001 i used 1N4007
and instead of BC548 i used C547C
But i think they are nearly identical?

I took a few pictures of my print if its any help
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

-Yoshidk

I removed both 555s, and gave both pin 3 possitive rail, LED1 is on.. and i managed to turn LED2 (and the relay) on a few times, but it dosnt work anymore, maybe the IC3 is fried, and i cant get a new untill tomorrow..

So i guess i have to find some better 555s to deliver the desired output..

But a second problem seems to be in the decade counter

Maybe its because it was partly fried..

But if i understand it right, and 9V signal to PIN14 should trigger PIN2 to go high, which enables LED2(and the relay), and another signal to PIN 14 should change PIN4 to high which resets the IC
So basicly a clock signal would toggle LED2 on and off, am i right?

i used this:
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/27051/TI/CD74HC4017E.html
It should have the same PINS..

I didn't say to remove the second 555.
You cannot clock the 4017 by hand.
Listen to what I have to say and do exactly what I ask.

Remove the first 555 and take pin 3 to the positive rail. What happens?

Take pins 4 and 8 of second 555 to the positive rail. Now take pin 2 to 0v then let it go HIGH.

Last edited:
i guess you mean with the first 555 removed, and PIN3 still to possitive rail
And second 555 still in place, PIN8 is already possitive rail, i put PIN4 to pos rail as well.. then everytime i connect PIN 2 to 0v, LED2 and the relay will toggle..

Last edited:
That means the second 555 and 4017 is working.

Put the first 555 in and take pin 2 of the first 555 to 0v very briefly

We talked about this lousy old circuit before, maybe on another website.
The CD4017 is not reset when the power is turned on so its first count is anything including numbers above 10. It needs a power-up reset resistor and capacitor which are not simple because the reset pin15 is already used.

That means the second 555 and 4017 is working.

Put the first 555 in and take pin 2 of the first 555 to 0v very briefly

This activates LED1 for the desired time, then it goes out.
But activating it another time within the 3 seconds, dosnt do anything..

This means the 555 and 555 and 4017 are working.

The problem is the transistor is turned on via the 2M2 and 270k and this causes it to be heavily turned on.
The only portion of the signal from the microphone is the negative-going part of the wave that removes the voltage from the base of the transistor to turn the transistor off.
At the moment it is heavily turned on via the 2M2. You need to reduce the turn-on current by increasing the 2M2 or reducing the 270k.
Try 180k in place of the 270k

R4 is replaced with 180K now, but i dont think it did anything.. its still ont triggered by sound at least..
Did i do anything wrong when i used this transistor C547C, instead of BC548?

This means the mic is not producing enough output.

Remove the mic and short across its terminals

Last edited:
Put the electrect mic back into the circuit. What is the voltage across the mic?
Try another mic. Put the mic into the circuit around the other way.

There is 9V across the mic
if i turn it around, there is only about 1V..

And i tried with a new mic as well, dosnt change anything

hi this is nothing i can help with but i do have a question, on your board is it a board you made yourself you have the contactors facing upwards is there a reason for that?

hi this is nothing i can help with but i do have a question, on your board is it a board you made yourself you have the contactors facing upwards is there a reason for that?

Yea i made it in utliboard myself.. im not sure what you mean with contactors, but if you mean the resistors and capacitors are "standing upright", it was just something i did to make the board smaller, i think the function should be the same..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back