Circuit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

patso

Hello all, first time poster.

So basically, I have a simple two-transistor oscillator circuit that I got out of a electronics workbook (tron.ix book 1).

I don't have the schematics on me at the moment, but it's basically two transistors for oscillating, a couple of resistors for setting the frequency and a final transistor to keep the small .5W 8Ω speaker from burning out.

Basically I was hoping to replace the small speaker with a 1/4" jack so that I may be able to plug this into a guitar amplifier. When I plugged the jack into a recording interface, the only sound I hear is a pop when i turn it on. If i swap the speaker back in, I hear the tone fine. Is there something about the signal usually used on instruments that I don't understand?

Thanks for any advice.

The speaker may provide a necessary path for the signal so the circuit can oscillate. The amp input is a relatively high impedance and doesn't provide that path. You might try subsituting a resistor (5-10 ohms) for the speaker and taking the signal across the resistor.

Wow thanks! That insight helped me out a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…