Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

circuit for 5v out put using a solar panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dheeru kiran

I have a solar panel of rating 15v and 18+/- 3%w .I get only 70 to 80 mA in the early in the morning and evening , I need to amplify the current to at least 600mA to charge my phone. and should not exceed 1amp in the afternoon .

Can some one please suggest me something that I can do....

I tried L7805 to regulate the voltage .can someone tell me how I can increase the current by reducing the voltage,and maintain the current between 600mA to 1A.

A linear regulator just reduces voltage without changing the max current available from the panel.

You need a step-down "buck" switch-mode converter with an output voltage of 5Vdc. They are available **broken link removed**...

A typical buck converter is about 85% efficient, meaning that if you put 3W in, you will get only 2.55W out, but when the solar panel is only putting out 3W (15V@0.2A), then you will get 2.55W/5V = 0.51A into the phone...

Last edited:
...Can I buy the above converter ? And the amp rating is 3amps is it OK if the phone is feed with more then 1amps?

Should work.

You feed the phone 5.0V. The charge-controller inside the phone determines how much current it requires for charging the battery, but likely never more than 1A. If your solar panel is not capable of delivering as much current as the phone demands, then I'm not sure what will happen, maybe the charge controller will turn off, waiting for a better sun angle...

Can I do some some thing else on my own to increase the current ?
Get a 12V Sealed Lead Acid battery of several Ah. Get a charge controller. Use the solar panel to charge the battery when it is not being used to power the phone charger. Use the battery to charge the phone at times you need to when the sun isn't available. Might require getting a second (or larger) solar panel.

If you want to be able to charge your phone at anytime or just store your solar energy, you must use a rechargeable battery.
If you use a 12 volt battery you can use a standard 12 volt to USB charger adapter and not worry about your phone current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back