Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit Board repait

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDragon Audio

Hello, I was taking off a small surface mount capacitor today from my board and for some reason a very small piece of the surface came up from the board ( The green stuff) :mad: 1mm by 2mm, any body know if this is repairable?

Hello, I was taking off a small surface mount capacitor today from my board and for some reason a very small piece of the surface came up from the board ( The green stuff) :mad: 1mm by 2mm, any body know if this is repairable?
If you have to, use a leaded capacitor to reach to a portion of trace still there. Scrape the solder mask off, tin it, and solder to the trace.

( The green stuff) :mad: 1mm by 2mm, any body know if this is repairable?

If it was just "the green stuff", NOT the copper, don't worry about it!

If you really think you should do something about it, repair the component(solder) and then replace the "green stuff" with clear finger nail polish.

Cary

Ok,,,,, so looking at it a little closer I think I'm dealing with a board from a really shitty manufacturer, because on the bottom of the silk screen that came up there is copper, the copper is suppossed to be melded with the board is in not? and the "Green stuff"/ silk screen just covers it up to expose certain traces...right?

Future reference, try a "solder pen"
<liquid pen w/ metal "ink" that dries but
conducts electricty afterwards, and they
have very fine points :) ! >.

Ok,,,,, so looking at it a little closer I think I'm dealing with a board from a really shitty manufacturer, because on the bottom of the silk screen that came up there is copper, the copper is suppossed to be melded with the board is in not? and the "Green stuff"/ silk screen just covers it up to expose certain traces...right?

Hi, if the copper(trace) is still on the board, just solder your replacement part to the copper trace.

The "green stuff" is called Solder Mask. it is just there to keep the solder from sticking anywhere but where it belongs.

The "Silk Screen " is the outline or part numbers put on a board to show where the individual parts belong.

Cary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back