Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

circiut board repair for guitar amp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklordchris

i have recently received a small fender amplifier that needs to have a new input jack soldered on to the pcb. however the board is damaged. where the input jack should go in the circuit path dosen't have any lands. it looks like someone who wasen't very good with a soldering iron and melted them out while trying to remove the old input jack.

i've looked over several ways to hook up the jack, but i'm not really sure what the best method would be. i don't know if it would be a better idea to solider in new lands or connect the jack to the circuit with wire or some other method.

Either way would work as long as the electrical connections are good and you are careful to not short to any adjacent components or traces. Can you post some pics?

That looks like it was ripped out.

Whatever you do keep in mind the stress put on the connector when connecting/disconnecting the input.

Ouch. You need to trace the tracks back to a pad with solder on, and put a jumper wire connecting from there.

Andrew

it doesn't matter what guage wire as long as it's not too big or too small. to big, and you'll likely damage the jack heating up the joint while soldering. too small and you won't have much mechanical rigidity to hold the jack onto the board. anywhere between #22 and #18 should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back