Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

chronograph

Status
Not open for further replies.

freckle101

i would like to build a chronograph

one of them urges

my main aim is to build a air rifle which is fully electronic with chronograph and everything in one unit but i want to just concentrate on the chrono for now

i think my basic idea is to use 2 phototransistors

use some sort of micro controller to do a calculation and then show it on a LCD display

have i got the jist of it?

and is a micro controller just a PIC?

thanks

steve

i would like to build a chronograph

one of them urges

my main aim is to build a air rifle which is fully electronic with chronograph and everything in one unit but i want to just concentrate on the chrono for now

i think my basic idea is to use 2 phototransistors

use some sort of micro controller to do a calculation and then show it on a LCD display

have i got the jist of it?

and is a micro controller just a PIC?

thanks

steve

I assume you mean a stop watch type function when you say it's a chronograph application you have in mind, in addition to an accurate time function?

Certainly a micro controller can perform these kinds of functions. And yes a PIC is just one brand (with many models to choose from) of a micro controller. Other manufactures also make micro controllers.

One thing that your application might require that many PIC type applications don't require is an accurate external clock (timing) source. The built in clock oscillators in many micro controllers are of the R/C kind that are subject to frequency drift possibly unsuitable for your accurate time needs.

External quartz crystal or crystal oscillators are more suitable for this kind of application. This doesn't add much cost but does take space and has to be specified to the accuracy needs that you will expect.

Lefty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back