Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing the right transistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ormo

I am having trouble finding the right transistors to drive motors. I have 3 identical PWM circuits based on the 555 timer. Each one will drive one of these motors:

**broken link removed**

My problem is finding the right transistor to drive the motors.

If it helps, the weight on the motor is just a small plastic mirror - nothing heavy.

Thanks.

The spec sheet states over 1amp full load so you need a transistor capable of say 3 to 5 amp to handle start up surges etc.

Should find something in Maplin thats suitable BD243c looks big enough and cheap - don't forget a little heatsink if you intend running heavy for a long time.

A power MOSFET would probably be easiest to drive. Use one rated for 3A or greater. They typically take 8-10V or so for best turn-on, so operate the 555 at a 12V supply or greater (15V max.).

What is you PWM frequency?

A search at Maplin came up with an IRFZ24N, IRF740, and IRF540, somewhat overkill for you requirements, but any one should work.

Make sure you place a suppression diode across the motor (cathode to plus motor connection) to suppress inductive spike voltages that can blow the transistor.

Down to the design of the rest of the project the 555 will be running on 3.3V - will the BD243c still work well here? The PWM frequency is about 145Hz

A typical 555 will only work down to about 4.5V.

Use a logic level mosfet then. Most are "full-on" at around 4.5V.

I'm still rather confused by all of this, does this look suitable?

**broken link removed**

The one you listed is not a logic level fet and must be driven by 10V or more.

You need something like this. **broken link removed**

The only factor that matters is the Rds_on parameter. Make sure the parameters say 4.5V or 5V, not 10V.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back