Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing the right PIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L3wis

Hey all, I'm at the stage in my project where im going to write and test my program. I've been reading through a pic book i was given by a teacher at school and i've been taking on board lots of the basics. I need a bit of help though, as im completely new to pic programming. I've downloaded some software for programming the pics. Called winpicprog, and the teacher at school should be able to get the programmer and cable nessacary to plug it into a computer to burn the chip. The next step for me is to choose the right pic to use. I know what i want my pic to do, i shall explain:

1) For half a second count the number of pulses on an input pin.

2) Move the total amount of pulses to the output pins as a 4bit binary number.

*Edit Because i only want to use a 4 bit count, i will also need the counter to latch when it reaches 16 pulses. Do i need to use an interupt?

The output will then go into a suming amplifier, and then a LED bar graph display.

Thats it i think, I'm not to sure what programming language it is i have been learning, but this is an example:

bsf porta, 0; Turns on output pin.

I'm dead in the water without your help people.

*Edit I need one input and 4 outputs.

Thanks in advance...

I'm the author of WinPicProg, I'm happy to see you are using it, I suggest you visit my PIC tutorials as listed below.

Everything you want can be done with a 16F628, and I would suggest assembler as the language - it's free, and is the most efficient. Even if you use high level languages (like C or BASIC) a decent knowledge of assembler is still very important.

Heh i already knew you were the author because i got the link to your website off another thread in this forum. Thanks for recommending the 16F628! I was a bit lost when it got to finally deciding which one would cover all. Do you think im biting off more than i can chew? I have planned out all the rest of the output so that should :/ be a problem, plus my teacher will be able to assist with that. But as for the programming side :/ I'm getting to grips with what i think is assembly code. From tutorials in the book I'm reading. The book is 'PIC your personal introductory course' Wrote by 'John Morton'. I'd recommend it to anyone who just wants to find out more info. Anyway got to stop side tracking, has anyone here done anything with counting pulses for a certain period of time? If so how did you do it?

Going to maplin tommorrow to get all the parts i need :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back