Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choke coil substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning

Please tell me the substitute of the choke coil which is available and compatible with any audio amplifier in India. This choke coil is for an audio amplifier. Please read the red circle mark also.

Attachments

• chokecoil.jpg
    chokecoil.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 163
That choke coil is part of the DC power supply. Looks to be ~0.5H, rated for ~3A of DC current.

It's also a component that's not been used for MANY decades, and hardly ever in transistorised amplifiers.

They were used in valve amplifiers because of the non-availability of large capacitance electrolytics - it was never a problem with transistor amps, as the much lower HT voltages meant that suitably large electrolytics were easily available (and reasonably sized as well).

Actually, I like to use any substitute for the DC power supply which is currently available in the Indian market. This choke coil is now unavailable in India. Desperately I need a substitute as well. Please help me.

This is an open ended question. Seriously open ended.

At a minimum, you need to specify the output voltage and current. Also, how much ripple you will tolerate. Finally, how much you are willing to spend.

Actually, I like to use any substitute for the DC power supply which is currently available in the Indian market. This choke coil is now unavailable in India. Desperately I need a substitute as well. Please help me.

Simply increase (substantially) the value of the reservoir capacitor, like I said before chokes haven't been used in that way for many decades.

What is the output power of the amplifier?, choose a capacitor value out of any similar power amplifier.

Why do you want a substitute?

The reason is that nobody is manufacturing it in Kolkata as well. Therefore, I have to change this choke coil. But one thing is that the power-supply module with this choke coil works like a charm for the last 7 years. Moreover, due to unavailability of this product have compelled me to look for the substitution as well. I am now helpless.

This is an open ended question. Seriously open ended.

At a minimum, you need to specify the output voltage and current. Also, how much ripple you will tolerate. Finally, how much you are willing to spend.
Output Voltage = 12v
Current = 2amp
Ripple = You can guess it
Willing to spend = $3

I don't know what you are doing, and neither do you. But the cheapest and easiest thing to do is get a normal 240v: to 15v or 30v power transformer and use just the secondary. Compare the ripple and let me know. In other words, listen to the hum.
Compare the output voltages too.

I don't know what you are doing, and neither do you. But the cheapest and easiest thing to do is get a normal 240v: to 15v or 30v power transformer and use just the secondary. Compare the ripple and let me know. In other words, listen to the hum.
Compare the output voltages too.
Right now, I have to discard my power supply module for DC filtration and stick to the capacitor for filtration purpose. Always my required voltage is 12 for my LA4440 audio amplifier and 5v is for Bluetooth mp3 FM module as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back