Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

chip heatsinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

kubeek

Most Helpful Member
I am in need of a heatsinking solution for a board.
Right now I had the idea that some stuff uses glued heatsinks like this one **broken link removed**

Does anyone have any experience with these? For example how much does the glue hold and if it will hold in vibration tests? Any sources for these?

Another option would be something that is mounted using springs like old PC chipset heatsinks. As well, any info or comments on those?

A smear of Artic Silver compound on the heat sink surface is married upto the chip then a small amount of RTV sealant between the heatsink and the PCB will hold it in place.

RTV sets (after about 24 hours) as a semi hard jelly that gives a strong bond preventing the heatsink lifting along with the surface tension of the bond.

From experience self adhesive heatsinks have a relatively low thermal conduction which is fine for components that get warm. Anything that gets hot quick and needs rapid expelling of heat possible with a fan need to be clamped hard to the device like modern CPU's.

Thermal pads that are a few mils thick to give flexible contact to a heat sink like a chassis are known to eventually dry up and pull away from the device and cause overheating as was the case in my old HP laptop thus it eventually destroyed the Nvidia graphics chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back