Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap, Easy Bipolar stepper driver??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentken

What is a cheap and easy bipolar stepper driver.

I want to drive a bipolar stepper one direction and be able to change speed.

Very slow speed. all controled by a 16F872 with a timer function that will trigger a speed change.

Kent
:)

kentken said:
What is a cheap and easy bipolar stepper driver.

I want to drive a bipolar stepper one direction and be able to change speed.

Very slow speed. all controled by a 16F872 with a timer function that will trigger a speed change.

Have a look at this , it's a simple stepper motor driver board for my tutorials - I haven't written the tutorial yet though :lol:

What sized steppers are you driving? Do you want to build from scratch or purchase a complete drive module? If you want to build a stand-alone driver, you may use an L298, L6203 or L6204 driver coupled to an L297 translator.

**broken link removed**

If you're feeling adventurous, you can hookup a pair L6203 drivers directly to a 20Mhz PIC18F873 and have the software control the current as well as switch the phases to move the motor. Below is a schematic of a microstep driver I once built. I no longer have the code that runs on it however. It uses the 2 channels of PWM of the PIC16F873.

Attachments

• Driver_139.gif
    Driver_139.gif
    29.2 KB · Views: 4,273
thanks
I am looking to drive a small stepper, <10v <.35A.
I would like a all in one chip, simple and cheap. I was using the mc3479, but they are hard to find.

Thanks again
Kent

The easiest way to drive a step motor is to use Allegro chips.
https://www.allegromicro.com

You only need 1 chip, 4 diodes and a resistor.
I use the UCN5804 but they have a lot of chips for stepper motors.
You change the speed by putting "1" or "0" at the direction pin and changeing the speed by changing your frequency in the step pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back