Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap arc welder as xenon power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowser22

I’m looking to power a 1000w xenon bulb. The igniter circuitry is more or less handled as it’s built into the lamp house. I’ve seen people using the zx7-200 as it’s cheap and plentiful. I’d like some help with smoothing the output of the welder to prolong the life of the bulb and reduce flicker. The OCV of the welder is 80v, the bulb draws 50amps at 19 v. I’m just curious what size construction I would make the inductor and what size Caps would be applicable ?

Thanks everyone

Hi,
it's a rather strange application and I can only guess on one else on here has any idea about it either!

Not knowing how the welder works, adding smoothing caps may cause damage. If the output is from a 50/60Hz transformer it will need some very large capacitors to provide decent smoothing.

I'd have thought an appropriate switch mode PSU would be a better option for a power source?

eg. A 24V 50A PSU is probably no more than the welder and should need no extra components?

That has an output voltage calibration adjustment so can be turned down from 24V.

Test the setup over time as most weld sets are not 100% rated. If the set is capable of a fair bit more than 50amps you might get away with it.
They used to say a 1000u per 1 amp current(on mains frequencies), so you need some big caps, and if the weld set is an inverter type then you'll need some low esr and maybe low esl caps though the uF required will be much less, 'standard' ones could overheat due to dissipation within the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back