Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging Time of a Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_pay

Hi All,

I have been searching the internet for a while now about calculating the time it takes for a capacitor to charge/discharge. Unfortunately I dont understand the information given.

All I wish to find out is, if there is a certain voltage source applied to a certain value capacitor via a certain value resistor, how long will it take to charge up to a certain voltage. As well as this, if a certain value capacitor at a certain initial voltage is discharged through a certain value resistor, how long will it take to reach a certain voltage.

Is anybody able to explain it, in simple terms :), or know of any formulas that may be helpful.

Thanks so much, I am totally confused and Dr. Google hasnt been helpful.

Tom

Thanks Mike for such a prompt reply.

I have read the article and, I think, I understand it. However, there must be a better way of determining the RC values other than the graphs, is there a proper formula for their first graph?

Thanks so much,

Tom

1 time constant = Resistance x Capacitance as was mentioned in article. Also recall, it takes 5 time constants for C to be fully charged. When using the TC=RxC be sure to use correct units, see link as it is explained.

Ahh, Thanks Eric, that link was quite helpful,

So For charging:

[LATEX]V_{c}=V_{b}[1-e^{-t/RC}][/LATEX]

And for discharging:

[LATEX]V_{c}=V_{0}e^{-t/RC}[/LATEX]

Thanks so much

Tom

Hey Eric... :p just kidding.

Hi Tom,

Solving the equation:
Vc=Vb*(1-e^(-t/RC))

for t gives us:
t=ln(Vc/Vb-1)*RC

and then we could solve for RC if we needed to determine an appropriate resistor or capacitor:
RC=t/(ln(Vc/Vb-1)

Also, if the capacitor has some initial voltage across it before it starts to charge, we can use this:
Vc=(Vb-Vi)*e^(-t/RC)+Vi

where Vi is that initial voltage, and solving for t we now get:
t=RC*ln((Vi-Vb)/(Vi-Vc))

There are really two formulas for this though...
For Vb>=Vi we have:
Vc=(Vb-Vi)*e^(-t/RC)+Vi

and for Vi>Vb we swap Vi and Vb so we have:
Vc=(Vi-Vb)*e^(-t/RC)+Vb

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back