Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging an discharging a battery simultaneouly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebuka_2

Charging and discharging a battery simultaneouly

I saw a circuit which clams to be an automatic battery charger. I am getting confused, because I thought that charging and discharging a battery at the same time will do more harm than good, or what do you think?
You may have a look at the schematic here: https://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/charger2.asp

Last edited:
You don't really charge and discharge at the same time, the PSU will supply power to the load AND the battery when the mains is on, and if the battery isn't fully charged.

Depends on the type of battery. Think of your car battery - it is ALWAYS being powered by the alternator whenever the car is running, and those batteries survive it just fine - and that's the same type of batteries the charger is designed for.

ebuka_2 said:
Do you mean it can work with a lead-acid accumulator?

hi,
Looking thru your link, it dosn't say battery charging and discharging at the same time.

It says, the battery will be charged quickly, when fully charged the charger will go into 'float' charge [low current charge].
If a load is applied to the battery and it starts to become 'discharged' the fast charge part of the charger will be switched on, and so on.................

During the fast charge the charger will supply current into the load and the battery.
Of course the load current must not exceed the maximum output of the charger, else the system will fail.

This is the same as a car alternator/battery system.

Does this help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back