Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging 18650 cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I'm intending to "upgrade" an old SLA+halogen bulb lantern to LiPo+LED, but I'm not sure about charging the battery. Looking on eBay I've seen balance boards for 2 or more cells, and chargers (using TP5100 chip) which seem to charge the cells connected in series with nothing extra.
What should I be using?

It really depends what you want - if you want the best 'safety', then fit a balance/protection board on the battery pack, and then use the TP5100 to charge it.

As long as the batteries are brand new, and identical, then you 'should' be OK without a balance board - much commercial equipment doesn't use balance boards, even if they do use a protection board.

Ahh, I wondered if it was something like that. Thanks Nigel :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back