Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Character LCD displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

It quickly becomes obvious starting out with microcontroller programming that a character LCD would be a valuable tool. From what I've seen serial LCDs are around $30 and paralelle ones of similar size are around $7. All the tutorials I have seen so far are for serial, and I'm getting the impression that they are generally much easier to use than parallel. Ebay has some serial ones for around $15, im not sure if brand matters much if you can find a data sheet.

So I'm looking for advice, what things I should look out for, and what matters in choosing an LCD. Does paralelle require any extra equipment?

So I'm looking for advice, what things I should look out for, and what matters in choosing an LCD.
Go for one with a 44780 controller (or equivalent, compatible type).

Serial ones are easy to use - 2 control wires - they usually have the potentiometer onboard the serial board.

The regular ones (without serial "backpacks") are just a little bit more difficult and take a minimum of 6 control wires and a pot to connect. The code for them is a wee bit more involved, but not too tough (except for that first time - seems so difficult the first time).

I bought about six of these. Excellent price. Nice displays. Check my site for **broken link removed**.

Does parallel require any extra equipment?
Yes. One 10K potentiometer. And a few extra wires. They're really fairly simple to use though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back