Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Channel coding for digital wireless..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueteeth

Hi,
Wasn't sure where to post this question (or even 'whether' to post it) because I have a question about digital comms, and I'm not sure if many people can help.

My basic problems is I need to send digital audio (16 bit @ 32kSPS) over a radio link. The throughput for this is immense, possibly up to 1MB/s. So I'm looking at a 2.4Ghz system, homemade.

Right, thats the raw data NRZ (start,stop,data ~24bits) but I'm still a bit indecisive as to the channel coding to use. The options I have are the following, and these can all be implemented at the same time but that would just use up way to much bandwidth. Thier advantages are also given:

Manchester encoding - for AC coupling/clock recovery/error correction

Convolutional coding - Forward Error Correction (better EC than manchester)

Direct Sequence spreading - Used for 2.4Ghz systems/error checking, privacy, noise immunity. (must be used for 2.4Ghz to comply with FCC/EU rules)

I realise that its a bit of a weird question, because it depends on so many factors, such as what type of radio to use, but this is also a bit of a tough decision.

You see, I would need the DSSS for 2.4Ghz, since frequency hopping wouldn' provide enough throughput (unless I use QPSK, but I really can't be bothered :roll: ). I *would* like some form of error correction, but since this is audio small errors probably wouldn't matter.

I've been looking on the net for about a year now, and have collected a lot of info on all the above, but actual 'facts' about current wireless audio systems are sparse and a bit vague.

If anyone could give me their experiences/opinion on this, or point me in the right direction I would be grateful. Any suggestion on the use of radio band to use (ISM) would be nice too :p

Blueteeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back